Jennifer’s Pharmacy and Soda Shoppe

A chili dog and chips.  In the background you can see the dessert menu.
A chili dog and chips. In the background you can see the dessert menu.

A few blocks away from Clayton High School lies a restaurant/toy store/pharmacy combination unlike anything I have ever seen.

Jennifer’s Pharmacy and Soda Shoppe, on Central Avenue in Clayton, can be overwhelming when you first walk in.  At the entrance, you see children’s toys and gifts.  As you venture further into the store, you will find everything from greeting cards, to fake mustaches, to milkshakes. In the very back is a pharmacy.

Today, I went there for lunch.  I asked one of the women working behind the soda shoppe counter what to order, and they suggested a chili dog.  It was very good, and to top it off I tried a chocolate malt.  On their menu, there are milkshakes in any flavor you can think of.  There is also a wide selection of both hot and cold sandwiches, as well as freshly baked cookies and pies.

However, the food is made even better by the service.  The ladies working there are friendly and make an effort to make conversation with you, because the eating area is relatively small.  They play games and joke with customers while making their food.

By the time I left, I was smiling and full.  Overall, Jennifer’s Pharmacy and Soda Shoppe was a great stop for lunch and an interesting store to visit.