‘South Butt’ an alternative for teens tired of fitting the mold

The South Butt logo marks the tongue-in-cheek attitude of this clothing line. (Izzy Fratt)

Teens are obsessed.
Teenagers today are obsessed with brand name clothing covered from head to toe: Uggs, designer sunglasses, Nikes, polos and more.  One high school student went against the grain, hoping to end the obsession with brand name clothing.
Jimmy Winkelmann, a graduate of Chaminade College Preparatory School, went through high school observing his classmates’ obsession in their name-brand clothing, especially the North Face fleeces.  As a result, Winkelmann decided to create a spoof of the North Face, the South Butt, to send a clear message to his peers, and moreover, all teenagers, about the absurd obsession with name-brand clothing.
“In high school, I started to notice the big explosion of popularity in the North Face fleece,” said Winkelmann.  “I just thought it was stupid how everyone was becoming so obsessed with these brand name clothing.  So, I decided to make a parody of the North Face called the South Butt.”
Winkelmann suggested the idea to his family and friends and before he knew it, he had the support to start a company.  With financial support from his parents, Winkelmann created a website and produced T-shirts.  In addition, other merchandise including long sleeve shirts, fleeces, track shorts, and baseball caps were made.  Winkelmann was also able to arrange to have some South Butt merchandise sold at Ladue Pharmacy.
“Our goal is to provide people an alternative to the North Face and just try to get clothing out there at a cheaper price than the brand name stuff,” Winkelmann said. “And have it be just as good of quality.”
Over the past month, the company’s sales have significantly increased as word of the South Butt has spread quickly, due to media coverage and word of mouth.
“I think it is gaining popularity just because the whole idea behind it is funny,” Winkelmann said.  However, he believes the South Butt still sends a strong message to teenagers and their obsession with name-brand clothing.
As Winkelmann explained, the South Butt teaches teenagers that name-brand clothing is not going to make you look cooler and, as a result, teenagers should not be obsessed with wearing certain brand name clothing.
Winkelmann hopes to spread his message further as he pushes to have South Butt merchandise available in stores nationwide by the spring season.  In addition, the company is looking to advertise on Facebook.  The North Face company may present an obstacle for him.
Recently, North Face threatened to sue South Butt on the basis of trademark infringement.  The South Butt logo features two downward curves on the left of the logo while in comparison, the North Face logo has three upward curves on the right side.  In addition, the South Butt’s slogan is “Never Stop Relaxing,” and the North Face company believes is too similar to their slogan “Never Stop Exploring.”
Despite the possibility of a lawsuit, Winkelmann continues to sell South Butt merchandise and spread his message, hoping to end the teenage obsession with name-brand clothing.