‘Anna Karenina’ Review

“Anna Karenina” is a beautiful, artistic film starring Keira Knightley as lead actress. (Courtesy of Anna Karenina/Wikimedia Commons)

Producer Joe Wright’s adaptation of Tolstoy’s “Anna Karenina” is fresh and creative, condensing the over thousand-page novel into a lush, passion-filled two-hour film. Wright’s adaptation does not stick to the novel quite as rigidly as his adaptations have in past films, such as “Pride and Prejudice” and “Atonement,” however, I think the creative liberties he took in “Anna Karenina” enhance the movie overall.

One such creative liberty is his conversion of the cities Moscow and St. Petersburg, where most of the action takes place, into theaters. Characters, when “on stage,” are scrutinized carefully when in the spotlight in the superficial and somewhat claustrophobic world of Russian court life in which Anna lives. The theater is in no way limiting, however – for instance, a corner of backstage quickly converts to busy urban streets, then into a cramped apartment, demonstrating its flexibility.

Wright’s usage of the theater as a set also is pulled off with the overall luxury and extravagance that make the film so aesthetically pleasing. Keira Knightley, starring as Anna Karenina, is a gem both visually and in her acting skills. Her performance in such a complex role is exemplary and the costume design was magnificent, truly making her a vision. Another actor who deserves praise is Jude Law, who played the role of Count Karenin, Anna’s strict, morally upright husband. Law’s lines were powerfully delivered, and made up for the attractive, yet not as exemplary actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson who played Vronsky, Anna’s lover.

Overall, the film is artistic and aesthetically full of details. Wright well maneuvers the difficulties of filming such an expansive piece. The film, however, is not one that I would care to take home and re-watch again and again. This is because of the claustrophobic feeling of the film, which is, though artistic, unsettling for a viewer. Overall, however, “Anna Karenina” is an excellent choice for those who want a moody, passionate film that takes place in the suffocating environment of eighteenth century Russian court.