Vida Cantina at the St. Louis Galleria

Vida Cantina Guacamole

Mexican food joints are all the rage these days, but Vida Cantina, a new Mexican restaurant located in the St.Louis Galleria next to BlackFinn American Grille, is anything but mainstream.

Vida has already attracted many regular visitors recognizing its distinguished service, despite the fact that its menu items are on the pricy side.

One of the defining features of the restaurant is its modern vibe fusing with an authentic Mexican background; rised chairs are made with polished wood and simple metal decor depicting Mexican life dot the room.

However, the overall setting shows some stark contrasts. Part of the dining section and bar has very dim lighting from suspended lights giving a very modern feel, whereas another part of the dining section is surrounded by tertiary colors with considerable lighting, mostly from the wall to wall windows giving the diners a view of the inside of the Galleria.

The Vida bar is undeniably, the most modern section of the restaurant. A rectangular liquor cabinet made of glass is suspended above the bar where bartenders bustle about. The lighting is dim and the walls are brick. Current music blares from speakers and T.V.s depict the latest football game.

However, it is the food itself that really justifies this restaurant a great option for a night out. Everything is freshly prepared and organic before reaching the table. Some ingredients are shipped from outside the state, but most are products of alliances with local farmers. Their famous tortilla chips are bought from a shop no more than a 10 minute drive away.

Vida values freshness so much that one member of their staff has the sole job of cutting and squeezing fresh fruit for their bar.

The food is served in simple cast iron or carved rock imitation bowls, or placed on clean white plates giving an almost homey Southern feel. The plating is simple, yet unique.

When their famous guacamole is served, it’s obvious that it’s been prepared less than two minutes before reaching the table. It’s smooth texture is complemented with chunks of avocado, onion, and minced cilantro as well as a topping of diced fresh tomatoes. It’s simplicity, paired with crisp corn tortilla chips seemingly prone to shattering, is admirable.
Their salsa does not disappoint either. It’s flavor is authentic, but with a twist. There is a coy sweetness infused throughout the pureed tomatoes balancing the sharp spiciness that lingers after swallowing.
Vida, an embracer of creativity, did not disappoint in its twist on the classic tortilla. Their thin interpretations of the tortilla is made with corn, but looks impossibly like a wheat tortilla. The texture is slightly gritty, and the color is a cream white. The taste remains unexpectedly, like a corn tortilla.
Something else Vida prides itself in is its wide assortment of booze. The Vida Skinny Margarita has garnered much praise for its lack of calories and robust flavor. They offer everything from tequila to wine, beers to mojitos, almost as versatile as their menu.
Vida offers all the classic Mexican dishes; quesadillas, enchiladas, nachos, burritos, tacos, etc. Their desserts include Ibarra Mexican chocolate creme brulee, orange canela flan and mango crisp. The X factor? Simply organic.
While Mexican food is often dubbed as greasy and fattening, Vida strives to steer its food from that. The essence of the tastes are authentic, but make a customer feel fresh on the inside. It’s almost as if the sauces used have liquid springtime. It’s a refreshing change.
Overall, Vida has distinguished itself among many other Mexican restaurants as an entrepreneur to evolve Mexican cuisine. Although it’s far from cheap, dining at Vida is certainly worth the splurge once in awhile.
Their food is undeniably indigenous to itself and Vida certainly lives up to its name… life.