Female Athlete of the Month: Katherine Greenberg

Senior tennis player Katherine Greenberg has been the number one singles player for the Hounds varsity tennis team the last four years.  Her reign on the top spot will come to an end next season, but not before Greenberg left a winning legacy at Clayton.

The right-handed captain was a team leader not only in rankings but also in practices and off the court.

“Katherine was a positive leader and she was always ready to give a high five for a nice shot,” freshman Caroline Greenberg said.

Greenberg played both doubles and singles for the team.  Over the season she also had to endure a couple setbacks along the way leading up to the district playoffs.
“I played with (junior) Ellie Jacobs in the beginning of the season. She was my partner last year so it was very easy to play with her, but she sprained her ankle and was out for three weeks,” Greenberg said.

At that point, Greenberg started to partner with her sister, Caroline Greenberg, in doubles.

“Caroline became my partner for districts and I really liked playing with her because we play pretty similarly except that she is left-handed,” the senior Greenberg said.

The chemistry paid off well as the two defeated the Cassity sisters (Courtney and Carly) of MICDS in the team portion of the district playoffs 6-2, 6-4.  In the doubles individual portion, the Greenberg’s lost to the same pair.

In high school tennis playoffs, there are tournaments for singles, doubles, and team matches.  So even though the Greenberg’s beat MICDS, it came in the team portion of districts.  In that match, the team lost, ending the season.

“It was fun to end on a good note in doubles, but I was sort of disappointed how I ended the season in singles,” Greenberg said.

However, Greenberg’s loss to Hannah Wille of MICDS should not be too disappointing seeing as Wille went on to win the state title in Class One singles.

During her freshman, sophomore, and junior year’s, Greenberg qualified for the state tournament in Kirksville, Missouri.  In doing so, she placed a target on her back and put Clayton tennis on the map as a legitimate contender for the next two years.

“My favorite tennis memory was probably when we went to Kirksville last year,” Greenberg said.

Greenberg relied on her solid set of fundamentals to be successful at Clayton on the court.

“My forehand and approach shots have been really strong, and have really helped me,” Greenberg said.

At the same time, Greenberg still feels that she has several aspects of her game to improve.

“I would really like to work on my backhand before college,” Greenberg said.
Greenberg has been approached by several colleges to continue her tennis career at the next level.

“I have been talking to a lot of college coaches about playing,” Greenberg said.  “ The main colleges that I have talked to are Carleton, Macalester, Grinnell, Colgate, and Hamilton.”

With that in mind, Greenberg will be adding to the list of Clayton athletes that will continue their athletic careers at the next level; just another telling example of Greenberg’s successful legacy at Clayton.