Star Trek Into Darkness Review

4/5

Star Trek Into Darkness came to theatres on May 17, 2013. A sequel to the 2009 reboot of the Star Trek franchise, Into Darkness features countless action sequences and quite a few plot twists. After Starfleet Command is attacked by an ex-Starfleet agent John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch), Captain James Kirk (Chris Pine) leads the Enterprise on a mission for revenge. After capturing Harrison, Kirk learns of a conspiracy leading to the top echelons of Starfleet.

This J.J. Abrams flick provides viewer with a fun and exciting experience, as there are very few dull moments. The action sequences are superb, with powerful effects complementing the well choreographed scenes. Every scene provides an intense and gripping moment as the crew struggles to survive against the many enemies around them.

That said, there are many faults with Star Trek Into Darkness. Many promising story lines are not followed, and countless plot holes plague the movie. Many of these plot holes are subtle, but some can lead to confusion for the viewer. A movie asked for the suspension of disbelief, but at times, the viewer is drawn out of the experience.

The acting in the movie is hit-or-miss. Benedict Cumberbatch does an extraordinary job as the movie’s villain, being cold and calculating. Another stand out is Simon Pegg as Scotty, providing comic relief without (always) resorting to a cheap laugh. None of the other actors in the movie stand out among the rest.

Star Trek Into Darkness provides an enjoyable and exciting experience to many movie-goers. While there are noticeable faults, they do not detract overwhelmingly from the flow of the movie. Anyone, from an avid fan of Star Trek, to the average movie-goer, should see this movie.