New Art Museum Wing Review

The main art museum building before the addition of the new wing Photo by Olivia MacDougal on Friday, September 28, 2012.
The main art museum building before the addition of the new wing
Photo by Olivia MacDougal on Friday, September 28, 2012.

Walking up the steps to the St. Louis Art Museum’s new wing, the modern, yet unobtrusive facade blends well with the grandiose, extravagant main building.

It was a great struggle to build a classy, beautiful wing without detracting from the magnificent marble pillared, gilded-angel topped main building, but this was achieved with stunning results. The tremendous floor to ceiling windows allow passers by to catch a glimpse of the wing’s interior as well as allowing visitors to admire the subdued, natural ambience of the trees lining the sides of the walkway.

Upon entering the wing, one of the first things visitors will notice is the concrete cells on the ceiling that let in non-direct sunlight – a greener and prettier alternative to artificial light that will not harm the artwork. This isn’t the only environmentally conscious decision made in the new wing, it was awarded Gold LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)

The gallery’s minimalistic smooth, light, hardwood floors and bland white walls put all of the focus onto the art in contrast to the ornate chambers found in the old building. Each room has its own unique flair and feels different from the last, and yet they still flow well to one another, creating a cohesive collection.

The wing’s art is exquisite and diverse with a wide range of mediums from the more traditional oil on canvas to Olafur Eliasson’s “The Vortex,” which consists of a large clear cylinder of water spun to create a tornado effect. Different artistic movements and styles from the early 20th century to present are displayed contributes to the singular collection.

The modern art displayed leaves most of the interpretive liberty to the viewer, but small blurbs about each work serve as a springboard for thought, while still leaving room for the imagination. The tastefully chosen art lends new meaning each time it’s viewed.

Leaving the serenity of the museum, it leaves a lasting impression as you return to the reality of life. Almost anyone can find some aspect of the museum to enjoy. I, myself, found the visit a tranquil and enlightening experience. Whether you drop in for minutes or linger for hours, the wing is definitely worth your time to check out.