Top 10 Movies To See (Soon)

Movie poster for Frozen (Wikimedia Commons)

• Ender’s Game: already out in theaters, PG-13.  Child genius Ender Wiggin trains at a military academy in space to combat the alien race of Formics.  Based on the book by Orson Scott Card.  (Starring Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin, Harrison Ford)
  • The Book Thief: in theaters November 15th, based on the novel by Markus Zusak.  About the power of books and stories in dark times, set during World War II.  Orphan Lisel Meminger helps her foster parents shelter a Jewish refugee named Max.
  • Thor 2: The Dark World: in theaters November 8th, PG-13.  Sequel movie to Thor, set after the events of the Avengers.  Thor (Chris Hemsworth) makes an uneasy alliance with his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) in order to defeat the dark elf king Malekith (Christopher Eccleston).
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: in theaters November 22, PG-13.  Sequel movie to the Hunger Games.  Rebellion is brewing in Panem, and Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) are back in the arena.
  • The Desolation of Smaug: in theaters December 13, PG-13.  Starring Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Sir Ian McKellen, Benedict Cumberbatch, Lee Pace, James Nesbitt, Orlando Bloom.  Directed by Peter Jackson.  Second installment of three films adapted from J.R.R Tolkien’s novel The Hobbit.  The company of dwarves goes through Mirkwood, Laketown, and arrives at the Lonely Mountain where Smaug dwells.
  • Frozen: in theaters November 27, PG.  Loosely inspired by Hans Christian Anderson’s The Snow Queen, Frozen is about the princess Anna’s quest to save Erendelle from eternal winter by bringing back her sister Elsa, who has the power to create ice and snow.  Voice starring Idina Menzel, Kristen Bell, Jonathan Groff, and Santino Fontana.
  • 12 Years A Slave: out in US October 18th, R.  Adapted from the 1853 autobiography Twelve Years A Slave.  In 1841, Solomon Nortrup, a free black man living in New York, is sold into slavery and is forced to work on a cotton plantation in the South after being kidnapped by slave traders.
  • Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues: in theaters December 20.  Sequel to 2004 film Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.  Stars Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Christina Applegate, David Koechner, Liam Neeson, Harrison Ford, Kristen Wiig, James Marsden.  After hitting rock bottom, Ron Burgundy returns, and is forced to adapt to the new world of 24-hour news.
  • The Wolf of Wall Street: out December 25, 2013.  Rated R.  Starring Leonardo Dicaprio, directed by Martin Scorsese.  Based on Jordan Belfort’s memoir of the same name, Dicaprio plays Belfort, a New York stock broker, who lives life large and lavishly through  mass security fraud with his firm, Stratton Oakmont.
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty: in theaters December 25, 2013.  Starring Ben Stiller, Kristen Wiig, Adam Scott, Patton Oswalt.  Based on the short story of the same name by James Thurber.  Walter Mitty, a Life magazine worker with his head in the clouds, goes on a journey to find a missing picture.

And an extra eleventh movie to see:

• Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom: in theaters November 29, 2013, PG-13, starring Idris Elba.  Based on former South African president Nelson Mandela’s autobiography of the same name about his path to presidency and work against apartheid.