Food for the Seoul

Seoul Taco in the loop unifies traditional Mexican food with classic Korean cuisine

By:  Kevin Rosenthal and Elise Yang

Seoul Taco, a quaint but charming restaurant located in the Loop, satisfies customers by providing an array of Mexican food options infused with a Korean flair. The menu appears to consist of classic Mexican fare, but the ingredients making up the food suggests otherwise. With Seoul Taco’s menu unifying traditional Mexican food with Korean cuisine, the flavors combine perfectly.

Seoul Taco began as a food truck, traveling the streets of St. Louis, appeasing to the mouths of hungry pedestrians. The truck won prestigious honors, as it was named the best food truck in St. Louis by the Riverfront Times, Sauce Magazine and Alive Magazine. Additionally, the Seoul Taco food truck was named one of top 101 food trucks in the nation by The Daily Meal. The truck’s popularity was at its apex, and it was inevitable that the truck would have to expand to a brick-and-mortar restaurant.

We ordered a bulgogi (steak) taco, a spicy pork taco and tofu quesadillas.  The bulgogi was succulent and sweet, and the marinade was flawless. The pork taco was sweet and juicy with a hint of spiciness, which truly enhances the flavor of the meat. Both tacos were served with a wedge of lime, which adds a tangy touch to the dish. The tofu quesadillas were excellent; the tofu had great texture, and the cheese inside melted perfectly onto the tortilla.

The fresh greens placed into all the dishes were a particular enjoyment. It was refreshing to eat fresh vegetables, in an age where packaged iceberg lettuce dominates. Above all, however, was the sauce. The famed Seoul Sauce is in a class of its own, unrivaled by any ordinary condiments. The sauce is the highlight of the meal. Perfected by owner, David Choi, this sauce perfectly blends cool mayo with spicy chipotle, and a selection of other secret ingredients.

Seoul Taco boasts speedy service, as customers are guaranteed to be fed in a matter of minutes. We were served in under five minutes, despite the restaurant being packed. We found many college students eating there, as Seoul Taco is the perfect place for a quick, fulfilling bite to eat. Our meal for two was cheap, as we paid under fifteen dollars for our food. The cashier was friendly, serving us with a warm smile. The restaurant has a casual ambiance, and the walls are inviting, painted with eclectic sea foam green.

All in all, Seoul Taco indulges customers’ every need, providing good food with an assortment of flavors at a bargain price. There is a wide assemblage of protein options. The tofu is ideal for any vegetarians, while the pork, chicken and bulgogi indulges all meat-lovers. With an exotic fusion of flavors, the Mexican-Korean restaurant is truly food for the seoul.