Not Your Typical Disney Princess Film

Official Movie Poster
Official Movie Poster

Our generation grew up admiring a princess who traded her voice for a man (Ariel) and lovely maidens who awaited Prince Charming to rescue them from evil stepmothers. Welcome to “Frozen” and a new era of Disney princesses.

“Frozen,” loosely based on Hans Christian Anderson’s “The Snow Queen,” is a love story, but not the romantic kind Disney has trained us to expect. The story revolves around not one, but two heroines. Ana (voiced by Kristen Bell) and Elsa (voiced by Idina Menzel) are princesses in the kingdom of Arendelle.

These princesses are more realistic than their predecessors. Ana is eternally optimistic and notably awkward. Elsa is strong and poised, yet vulnerable. The man Ana bribes to transport her to her sister is more adorable than he is handsome, and though he is good company, she doesn’t rely on him to save the day. In the end, “Frozen” delivers a true love that defies the “brawny man on horseback” stereotype of traditional Disney princess films.

Frozen opened in theaters Thanksgiving weekend and by mid December, had climbed to the top of the Box Office (surpassing Catching Fire). It earned an A+ CinemaScore Grade and received a Golden Globe Nomination.

“Frozen” is a family film that will entertain all ages and genders. It involves a bit of magic, a wacky snowman and Broadway-worthy music. Even if one does not appreciate the story (which is unlikely), the movie is worth seeing for the sophisticated animation alone. (It took 70 animators approximately six months to create two minutes’ worth of Frozen screen time.)

“Frozen” is projected to make about $250 million in the box office, and for good reason.  Go see it and experience for yourself. You’ll be sure to get the chills.