Set in Stone Column

While many CHS students haven’t been thinking very much about the holiday season so far due to increasing amounts of exams and college applications, reminders of it can be seen everywhere. After being pried away from my textbooks, I have helped place ornaments on my family’s Christmas tree, been constantly reminded to start my Christmas list for relatives, bought the red Starbucks cups, etc. However, the most striking reminder for me in the last few weeks has not been the twinkling lights outside of my house, but a certain article in the St. Louis Post- Dispatch. Oh, yes, I’m talking about the listing of holiday movies on TV.

It’s easy for one to get lost in a sea of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman, but there are actually many movie choices that are both traditional and entertaining, defining the holiday season. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Miracle on 34th Street (1994) – This film has to be my absolute favorite and a traditional part of my family’s holiday season. Starring child-star Mara Wilson as the adorable Susan Walker and the convincing Lord Richard Attenborough as Kris Kringle, it truly encompasses the holiday spirit. The plot centers on the six year-old Susan and her cynical, single mom Dorey, who both know the “secret” of Santa’s “fictional” existence. Both of their lives are changed after they meet one special department store Santa, who gives them the greatest gift of all- something to believe in. When I was younger, I didn’t fully understand the legal jargon in the courtroom scenes, but children can still comprehend the profound realization of Santa’s role and existence in the hearts of all. My favorite quote in the movie is when Kris is attempting to convince Dorey of his sanity and legitimacy— “I’m not just a whimsical figure who wears a charming suit and affects a jolly demeanor. You know, I… I… I’m a symbol. I’m a symbol of the human ability to be able to suppress the selfish and hateful tendencies that rule the major part of our lives. If you can’t believe, if you can’t accept anything on faith, then you’re doomed for a life dominated by doubt.”

2. Elf (2003) – Honestly, if you haven’t watched Will Ferrell pour maple syrup on spaghetti noodles, then you haven’t had a true Christmas holiday. Buddy is a human raised by elves in the North Pole who travels on a magnificent quest (through the sea of swirly twirly gumdrops) to find his true father, the crabby Walter Hobbs, in New York City. Buddy experiences human culture and wreaks havoc as only an elf can upon his father’s job and family, forcing Walter to reevaluate his priorities in time for Christmas. This film is absolutely hilarious, and has remained a classic in my house for years. However, it actually carries a very sweet message, professing the forgiveness and joy of the holiday season.

3. Barbie in the Nutcracker (2001) – Yes, I know what you’re thinking. However, I am still unashamed of adding this straight-to-video children’s movie to my list. In the tradition of the original story, Barbie plays Clara, a young girl who receives a nutcracker for Christmas from her aunt (her uncle in the ballet). While she is asleep in the family room on Christmas Eve after her brother breaks the toy, the Mouse King and his soldiers invade the home, casting a spell on Clara to shrink her and prompting her and the Nutcracker to battle and escape to the desolated former kingdom of Prince Eric, who is later found to be the Nutcracker. The pair encounters colorful characters in their quest to save the land such as Captain Candy and Major Mint. My sisters and I love this film, particularly the colorful animation and overall faithfulness to E.T.A Hoffman’s story and Tchaikovsky’s delightful music. Ballet is also incorporated in various scenes in the film and the voice cast is superb, with Kelly Sheridan as Barbie, Kirby Morrow as the Nutcracker, and Tim Curry as the Mouse King. If you haven’t seen this film already, look past its seemingly childish cover and experience the innocence and magic of this movie.

4. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) – If any holiday movie list does not include this movie, it should not be treated as legitimate. This classic film, loosely adapted from Charles Dickens’ story A Christmas Carol, centers around George Bailey (James Stewart), the owner of a modest building and loan company. Trouble brews after his Uncle Billy loses the business’s $8,000, intending to deposit it at the bank. The millionaire miser Mr. Potter picks it up and hides it from Billy, while the bank examiner discovers the shortage. George, realizing that the loss will be blamed on him and will likely be sent to jail, contemplates suicide while thinking his family will be better off without him. His guardian angel, Clarence, halts this attempt, taking George on an incredible viewing of what the town would be like without him, with everyone he loves being dead or miserable. George then realizes his positive impact on the town and his loved ones. This heartwarming tale, sending the message that everyone has personal significance in the world, is both entertaining and profound. The character of the movie is depicted as Clarence declares, “You see, George, you’ve really had a wonderful life.”

While I have numerous more holiday favorites and there are even more choices than my limited handful of picks, holiday movies (seemingly supposed to be grouped with the commercial excesses of the season) carry positive, enlightening messages for any age and truly define the generosity and innocence of the season.

View Comments (2)
$150
$2000