Wrestling begins push toward future

The varsity wrestling program has seen better days.  Carrying a 2-6 record, the team is motivated to finish the season successfully.

Freshman Edward Davis grapples with an Affton wrestler in the John Burroughs Tournament on Saturday Dec. 4, 2009. (Thalia Sass)

“Coach Verby has started putting us through more drills,” junior captain Jordan Henry said.
Henry has been a key member of the team since his freshman year and is in his second season as a team captain.  Henry wrestles at the 135-pound weight class, one of the most competitive weight classes in high school wrestling.
“We do a lot more running and wrestle at 100 percent, instead of just learning new moves,” Henry said.
“Practices have been a lot more intense. It’s all geared toward helping the kids get better,” said head coach Doug Verby.
Henry said the team feels as if the overall record does not affect the amount of hard work put into the season. Of the 14 members of the team, 13 are underclassmen, including six freshman with no prior wrestling experience.
“Obviously we have a young team,” Henry said.  “That just needs to let us know we have to work harder to compete.”
On the other hand, a young team usually means a lot of potential for the future.
“Sophomore Jeffrey Rothenberg and freshman MJ Milbourn have both done well,” Henry said. “Jeffrey has really evolved since last year, and MJ has competed very well considering he is a freshman.”
Rothenberg is wrestling in the heavyweight class, while Milbourn is in the 145-pound weight class.
The members of the team have bought in to the demanded extra work, and Henry guarantees results.
“With all the extra work put in, its hard to keep up with other things,” said sophomore Joseph Bradley. This is Bradley’s second year on the team. “I am confident that it will all pay off when it really matters.”
“Our next team goals are to win as many matches as possible and also get the underclassmen more wins, “ Henry said.
With the district tournament soon approaching, hopefully the improved work ethic and much needed individual wins will give the team an extra boost.
“Traditionally, we haven’t done well as a team when districts came around,” Henry said. “That needs to change. Last year I did well, but wrestling is a team thing. The season will be considered a failure to me if the team doesn’t do well.”
“It is great to see Jordan step up and be a good leader,” said Bradley. “He has been on the team the longest and keeps pushing us to get better.”

Sophomore Justin Williams gets two points for a take down  in the John Burroughs Tournament on Saturday Dec. 4, 2009. (Thalia Sass)
Sophomore Justin Williams gets two points for a take down in the John Burroughs Tournament on Saturday Dec. 4, 2009. (Thalia Sass)

As the team continues to progress, the focus of the team is being to switch from the next match to the district tournament.
“I am ready for the district tournament. Although we are very young, the potential is there. We just have to want it,” said Verby.