‘Romancing the Stone’ still entertains despite lack of modern special effects

Most of us are used to the fast- paced action movies of the new era, and forget to remember classic action movies from past years. We are constantly bombarded with gory scenes in what many call “action” movies these days.
Many action films from the past are overlooked because they simply do not meet the new standards set by more modern high-tech films. However, there are some classic films from the past that simply cannot be forgotten.
Romancing the Stone, (1984), is one of those films that many will never forget. It was directed by Robert Zemeckis, and features famous actors like Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito.
Joan Wilder (Kathleen Turner) is a famous New-York based romance novelist who lives a boring life with her cat in their condo. Ironically, the romance novelist cannot seem to find any romance of her own in her own life.
One day, Wilder returns home to find her condo a complete mess. The scene is disastrous, and it seems that she had been the victim of a burglary, but she cannot seem to figure out what had been stolen. Right away she receives a frightening call; her sister Elaine (Mary Ellen Trainor) has been kidnapped in South America. She decides to go and save her, taking with her a valuable treasure map she received in the mail earlier.
When she arrives in Columbia, she must take a bus to Cartagena. She mistakenly takes a bus that is headed in a different direction, due to one of the bad guys intentionally giving her false information. While on the bus, she stands up and asks the bus driver what direction they are heading in. Because of the loud noise, and due to the lack of Spanish that plagues Wilder, the driver becomes distracted from the road and crashes into the rainforest.
The bus is demolished, and most of the passengers get out and walk away. Joan then meets adventurer Jack T. Colton (Michael Douglas) who is an American like her. However, he knows his way around Columbia and she doesn’t. He agrees to take her to Cartagena for a hefty sum of money, so he can buy his dream sailboat.
On their way there, they are followed by mysterious men and by soldiers led by corrupt policeman Zolo (Manuel Ojeda). Zolo happens to be the man who broke into Wilders apartment in the beginning looking for the precious treasure map. Ralph (Danny DeVito) organizes their capture from far away because he wants the treasure map as well.
Joan and Jack’s journey to Cartagena is an exciting one. The experience is filled with action, some comedic situations, and romance when eventually Jack and Joan fall in love with each other along the way there.
This romantic action-comedy is a must-see movie because it does not fail to keep viewers entertained every single minute of the film. One of the best 80’s films, Romancing the Stone is a movie that will never cease to entertain. Definitely worth digging out of the vault!