Lady Hounds gain new coach and new motivation for a run at districts

The winter sports season is coming to an end. As some athletes coast through the remainder of the season, a certain group of athletes continue to push for success. The girls’ varsity basketball team is determined to turn things around for the district tournament.

The Lady Hounds collect at around coach Steve Lanter from left to right: sophomore Stephanie Avery, sophomore Sarah Tait, junior Jaclyn Poe, senior Taquera Waler, and junior Allison O’Neal. Seniors Chelsea Granberry and Maggie Lanter lead the team with 5.5 and 4.8 PPG. (Izzy Fratt)
The Lady Hounds collect at around coach Steve Lanter from left to right: sophomore Stephanie Avery, sophomore Sarah Tait, junior Jaclyn Poe, senior Taquera Walker, and junior Allison O’Neal. Seniors Chelsea Granberry and Maggie Lanter lead the team with 5.5 and 4.8 PPG. (Izzy Fratt)

“I think we have struggled because we don’t know our strengths and weaknesses,” sophomore Haley Wartman said.

This is Wartman’s first season on varsity. Wartman had a hard time adjusting to varsity action in the beginning of the season, but has since gotten used to everything.

“The pace is a lot faster compared to on JV,” Wartman said.

“Overall Haley has played really well,” said senior guard Taquera Walker. Walker is in her second season as a member of the varsity team.

Although not enjoying as much success as the team would wish for, the team has some bright spots emerging including senior Michelle Cooper has emerged as a bright spot.

“She hits her shots and plays really good defense,” said Wartman.

Cooper is shooting 24% for the year, the highest among the starters.

Michelle is also a great leader on and off the court. Another bright spot for the team has been the addition of Coach Mahlon Sanders. Sanders is the father of junior forward Darcy Sanders.

“Having my dad coach was weird at first,” Darcy Sanders said.  “I’ve gotten used to it though.”

“Coach Sanders has been a real asset. He is very defensive minded and pushes us to work harder,” Wartman said.

With little time remaining in the regular season, the Lady Hounds are preparing for districts.

“Obviously we want to win districts,” Walker said. “In order to do that though, everyone needs to step up and play well.”

“I am confident that we can turn it all around in time. We have a really talented team. We just have to figure it all out,” Wartman said. ⎫