Hockey Hounds finish a season of complications with a first round loss

The Clayton hockey team finished the regular season 6-14-1 and made the Founders Cup for the third time in the last four years. In the first round of the Founders Cup, the Greyhounds took on Fort Zumwalt South. During the first game of the series the Greyhounds fell short losing 10-6 on Feb. 6, which happened to be the night of the Peppers dance for Clayton High School.

Despite the fate of the season resting in the next two games, some of the Clayton team decided to attend the dance rather than the game. For many seniors this was upsetting that their final season in the Greyhound uniform was coming to a half-hearted conclusion. Although the team was hopeful that they could win the second game and the mini game, several obstacles stood in the way of the team not just for the second game of the series but all season.

After coming off a great season last year that was cut short in a mini game lose to Priory the future of the Greyhounds was looking bright. There were some key players, however, that Clayton couldn’t afford to lose.

“We really only lost two seniors,” head coach Chris Wirtel said. “But Tim Smith was a rock on defense and Murphy [Horlacher] was a solid checking line center. Looking back on it I can see that it is a main reason why we have given up so many goals this year.”

Not all of the players that departed were seniors. Junior Zach Cavallini opted to forgo his senior year at Clayton High School and moved to Toronto to play competitive hockey for the Toronto Junior Canadians.

Along with the graduated seniors of ’09 and Cavallini, the loss of seniors Connor Dougan and Sam Jacus, has taken a huge toll on the team’s performance. Jacus left the team early in the season due to a shoulder injury and still hasn’t been able to play. Dougan, a huge contributor to the current season, has been unable to play because of multiple concussions.

“Connor’s leadership and point scoring was a tough loss,” said Doug Holtzman, father of senior player Corbin Holtzman.

Dougan, however, will continue his role as team captain despite his injuries.

“As captain of the team I try and be the team leader and get the team prepared for games,” Dougan said. “I work hard and set an example for the rest of the team.”

Another key lose for the team occurred on Saturday, Feb. 6, as Clayton students celebrated the annual Peppers dance, Stern was taken by ambulance to the hospital after receiving a neck injury.  Although Stern returned the following game, his absence for the rest of game one was seen as the team’s defense was depleted.

The injuries were not the only absence that the Greyhounds faced this season. Throughout the season junior Cory Canon was absent from seven games due his club hockey team traveling. This lose was key, because Canon was a major contributor to the Greyhounds offense.

At CHS, hockey games have always been a traditional way for students to spend their evenings. In past years, crowds of Clayton fans would file into the bleachers and scream and cheer for the team. This year, however, Clayton saw a depleted fan section throughout the whole season.  Doug Holtzman credited this as being a contributing factor to Clayton’s performance this season.

“Audience turn-out is great for Ladue games, otherwise it has weakened in my years of watching Corbin play,” Holtzman said.

Like the game on the night of the Peppers dance the Clayton team ended their season and for many of the players their high school careers in a 8-5 lose to Fort Zumwalt South on Feb. 13 at the Recreation Complex in Saint Peters. With the season over the Greyhounds are looking forward to next season and the opportunities that comes with a clean slate. ü