Basil Spice Restaurant Review

Clayton is notoriously known as a self-contained bubble, and the stereotype holds true when it comes to cuisine. Downtown Clayton has a vast selection of eateries—so vast that it is sometimes difficult to find a reason to venture outside of the bubble.
But making a trip beyond the neighborhood offers not only an exciting adventure in a new area of St. Louis, but also an authentic taste from a different corner of the world. This is precisely what I found at Basil Spice, a family owned Thai restaurant located at 3183 South Grand.
The neighborhood is populated enormously with immigrants who came to St. Louis in search of better economic opportunities, and Basil Spice just so happens to be situated across the street from the international grocery store, Jay International Food Co. From my table I watched the store lights glow behind strings of dried peppers, barrels of spices and bags of rice. Men and women bustled in and out as they sought out the flavors of their home countries.
The restaurant itself is comfortable yet artistic. Large columns reach to the top of two-story ceilings, while small white and blue tiles ordain the floor. Thai woodcarvings and silver castings line the walls.
But perhaps nothing was as gorgeous as the food itself. The simple vegetable summer rolls were served with a carrot intricately cut into the shape of a flower. The vegetables were as vibrant as a rainbow and the peanut sauce a perfect blend of sweet and savory.
The traditional Thai soup, Tom Kha Gai, is made with a base of coconut milk. I was shocked when I swallowed my first spoonful. The texture is unbelievably rich, with a subtle tang of cilantro to complement the sweet coconut flavor. It is out of this world.
I tried two entrees: the Pad Thai and the Gang Keow Wahn, a green curry. For those afraid of spice, there is no need to worry. The kitchen will cook your dish to order with a spiciness level of your choice, on a scale of one to five.
The Pad Thai is a normal version of the classic dish that is so popular here in the states—nothing surprising here.
But it was the curry that really got me. Not only are the spices impeccably mixed, but every single vegetable is fresh and delicious. The tofu is cooked just right and the colors, too, are perfectly combined. Golden yellows, bright greens and oranges mix with the soft lime of the curry and the white of the rice to create a painting on the plate. I almost didn’t want to eat it.
Luckily, I saved room for dessert. The Khao Nuea, a steamed sweet sticky rice with coconut milk, was surprisingly delicious. Unlike rice pudding, this dessert is gummier and more compact. Served with vanilla ice cream and honey that hardens on the cold surface, this sweet was wonderfully original.
For those bored of the same old go-to Clayton restaurants, Basil Spice is a fantastic escapade the senses. But if Thai isn’t your favorite, South Grand has something for everyone, from Ethiopian to Vietnamese to Italian.
So get out and taste the world. It’s just down the road.