Woods leads Hounds to promising 5-2 start with talent, hard work

With speed, agility and hard work, sophomore Karley Woods has had an impressive start to the 2010 soccer season. Woods has already tallied 11 goals and two assists in just five games.

Woods dribbles up the field in the Hounds' 1-0 loss to Burroughs.  (Caroline Stamp)
Woods dribbles up the field in the Hounds' 1-0 loss to Burroughs. (Caroline Stamp)

She started playing soccer at the YMCA when she was five. At 11 she began playing select and played varsity as a freshman last year, racking up five goals and assists.
“I didn’t have a main role, but I got a lot of playing time,” Woods said. “It helped me develop a lot.”
Woods has stepped up this season to fill the void left by last year’s leading scorer, Olivia Hayes.
“Her greatest strengths are her work ethic and quickness,” coach Paul Hoelscher said.
Woods’ potent combination of talent and hard work make her one of the team leaders.
“Karley provides positive leadership,” Hoelscher said.
Not only is she talented, Woods is versatile and able to play multiple positions.
“She plays the attacking mid in a 4-5-1 system.  She plays great defense and provides a target for counter-attacks,” Hoelscher said.
Woods’ two-way contributions are especially effective in a system with just one forward. She can be played in the defense while acting as a second forward on offense.
“With just a single forward, Karley often becomes an attacker in the offensive end of the field,” Hoelscher said.
Aside from her scoring success, Woods is beneficial in motivating the team with her hard work.
“She always works her hardest in practice and games and keeps the rest of us working hard too,” senior defender and captain Sonja Petermann said.
Woods said that she loves soccer because she can control the game and there is freedom for the player.  However, she is ambivalent about her future in the game.
“I’m not sure if I want to play soccer in college because it’s such a big commitment,” Woods said.
Hard work and young talent have helped the Hounds to a 5-2 start, with no loses in conference play. Woods will continue to work and contribute for what appears to be the beginning of a successful season.