Corny plot and good acting provide laughs, memorable lines

Pretending to be someone else in order to steal a dinner reservation is normally considered a social taboo but never a dangerous choice.

However, “Date Night,” directed by Shawn Levy, opening this past Friday follows the boring marriage of a typical suburban couple from New Jersey that simply picks the wrong reservation to steal.

Phil Foster, a tax lawyer played by Steve Carell, in attempt to put some spark into the couple’s weekly date night, takes his wife, Claire Foster, a real estate agent played by Tina Fey, for a night in New York City.

The night takes a stark turn when Phil Foster’s attempt to get his wife into a hopping new restaurant in the city jeopardizes both of their lives. Phil Foster unknowingly takes the reservation if a couple of conmen wanted by the mob, getting the couple into some unwarranted trouble.

NXT-FLICKIT MCT

A night that is supposed to be filled with expensive food and romantic conversation is now filled with cross fire, government corruption, sports cars, and pole dances.

As it can already be seen through this short summary the plot is nothing short of corny. However, for a comedy that portrays itself as a pseudo action flick, the corny lines and awkward scenes effectively leave the audience rolling on the floor but surely not on the edge of their chair.

The comedic chemistry between Carell and Fey is more than evident by just watching the bloopers at the end of the films. Their funny voices, impersonations, and lack of social boundaries left me wanting NBC’s “The Office” and “30 Rock” to merge into one show so I could see this duo together every week.

For those viewers that have not been enthralled with either of these two actors in the past, you are sure to laugh at them in this new comedy. Not to mention appearances from SNL star Kristen Wiig and celebrities James Franko, Mark Walberg, and Will.i.am (or sam.i.am as Phil Foster call him) give the movie a comedic dynamic that is sure to make anyone laugh.

An important side note for anyone who is not married and wants to see this movie, there is a lot of emotional commentary on the societal construct of marriage.

Through numerous marital fights and Claire Foster’s infatuation with a topless former client, played by Walberg, there is constant tension between the couple. However, the night reminds them that they can’t live without each other.

A gooey message, but the laughs are worth sitting through it. But for the adults who are married, I recommend you make this movie your date night for the week.

My advice for this movie – see it. However, don’t expect much more than a good laugh and a few memorable lines, don’t eat the popcorn too fast to avoid the possibility from choking on kernels while laughing and be sure to stay until the end of the credits to see the bloopers.