School Works

Sometime in the next few years, you will likely see a student wearing a “School Works” t-shirt. Freshman Sebastian Juhl started his own clothing line, titled School Works, in January of this year.
“I have always liked clothes and nice apparel,” Juhl said. “Early this year, the idea just materialized.”
The brand name might seem a bit confusing at first, as it wouldn’t seem a teenager’s t-shirt would praise school.
“School works, school seems like such a big waste of time, just a bunch of nothing being piled into your head,” Juhl said. “However school really does help, it works.”
This reasoning was literally drawn on paper and made into a t-shirt, his first design. The original shirt design shows a bunch of math equations being poured into a robot’s head and the brand name School Works written across the shirt.
Freshman Michael Turner was one of Juhl’s first customers. He bought the original shirt in blue.
“It is pretty cool that a student can make a clothing line and sells their product,” Turner said. “It was kind of expensive, but it’s worth it to support a student. I wanted to be part of it.”
Sophomore Connor Flood also bought the original shirt.
“I like the shirt design a lot,” Flood said. “It’s cool how the name of the brand goes in one ear and out the other of the robot logo.”
Turner and Flood both approved of the principle of School Works.
“The other reason I bought the shirt is that I do like the idea of school works,” Turner said. “School clearly works for certain people, hopefully it works for me.”
“School Works applies to all kids as it shows that in the end, you need school to be successful in life,” Flood said.
Juhl said the process of creating a shirt is simpler than it seems. First, he draws the design on paper, and then scans it unto the computer. He then retouches the image using Adobe Illustrator. From there, he sends the design to the screen printer, and if it is approved, it is ready to be printed.
Juhl “hopes he can sell a few of the printed shirts.” He is doing pretty well so far due to high demand; he is currently out of shirts.
In order to sell shirts and gain publicity, Juhl created a website, www.schoolworks.bigcartel.com. There, one can choose one of two shirts, priced at $30 each. The shirts are described as made from 2001 American Apparel Shirts. Both shirts have a “Coming Soon” status, as Juhl is soon going to order more shirts.
Specifically, Juhl said that he hoped he would sell 100 shirts by the end of summer.
At that rate, it might be sooner than later that you see a CHS student bearing a School Works shirt.