Varsity track teams hopeful for district meet

The sound of the gun cracks the air, and they’re off! On Sat. May 15, 2010 the boys’ and girls’ track and field teams will be competing at districts at 9 a.m. at MICDs. The season will end there for some, but it will just begin for others. This year’s teams present some very hopeful outlooks for the district competition.
Boys’ Track coach Kurtis Werner has high expectations for many of his athletes including both distance runners and sprinters.
“Our hope for districts for the distance team is to have one finisher make it to state this year,” Werner said. “We’re so young; we’re kind of inexperienced in running the District level. I had Derrick Stone actually qualify for cross country for the state meet so that’s what the distance team is. Now, sprinting we’re a little bit different. We’re a little more experienced with Don and Kameron Stewart in charge along with Alo Onwumere who was all state last year, 8th in the 400. We’re looking to get several relay teams to state this year primarily the 4 X 200 meter and 4 X 100 meter teams.”
Girl’s’ Track coach Barry Ford shares Werner’s hopes for districts, expecting at least a couple of their relay teams qualifying.
“My hope for the day is that we will be able to qualify at least three out of our four relay teams for the state meet,” Ford said.
Freshman Oji Onwumere runs for the 4 X 100 meter, 4 X 200 meter, and 4 X 400 meter relay teams along with the open 400 meter race. She believes that the teams will definitely qualify at the district meet and in order to prepare for these intense races Oji Onwumere has a fairly simply routine.
“I’m kind of nervous because I want to do my best, but I get over it and I just try and get through my race,” Oji Onwumere said. “I usually try to listen to music, I warm up with it, and it just relaxes me.”
Junior Kameron Stewart is a member of the boys’ 4 X 100, 4 X 200, and 4 X 400 relay teams and has been running for the team for three years. He believes that the team “can compete in the 4 X 200, 4 X 400 and possibly the 4 X 100.” He, along with Oji Onwumere, has his own routine to prepare for his races.
“I like to stretch out, stride, and just relax and get in my competing mode,” Stewart said. “I’m just trying to stay relaxed as possible and to move as fast as possible.”
The atmosphere of the day certainly adds to the pressure and excitement many of the runners feel. A vast number of schools from all over the area attend the competition.
“The meet and the atmosphere of the day are incredible,” Werner said. “This year the meet is going to be held at MICDs. They have great resources so the meet is very sophisticated and if you make it in districts, you know you’re on the line with the best runners in the region.”
Werner is very confident in Senior Alo Onwumere’s abilities and is certain he will make it past districts.
“Alo Onuwerme will definitely go in the 400 meter race,” Werner said. “He probably would in any other district go for the 200, but ours is absolutely stacked with Mcluer South Berkley, Jennings, and North County Tech. Those schools have some very fast runners so he probably won’t get out in 200 but he has another chance in a relay team.”
Ford is optimistic for the day and encourages athletes to “come mentally prepared as well as physically.”
As a competitor and a coach Werner offers up his words of wisdom for aspiring runners and athletes:
“Track is not a very glamorous sport,” Werner said. “It’s a lot of hard work, but when you step up to that line mostly you know in your head you’ve done the right thing and it does pay off and when you go out and compete there’s nothing like it.”