Golfers swing towards state

To many people, golf is a game for the elderly or those willing to throw their time away, but for some students at Clayton High School golf is much more than that. Without scandals like Tiger Woods’ adultery, golf would go unnoticed by those who are not true fans. At Clayton High School this is no different, except for the fact that there are no scandals or at least ones that have been leaked.
The golf team; however, should be making noise, for, just as they were last year the team is in contention for a run at state.
“We lost a few key players from last year’s team,” senior Corbin Holtzman said. “We have a solid top five though, so hopefully we’ll go to state as a team.”
The top five for this year’s team consists of players spread throughout the years, but has a concentration in the seniors. The players are senior Corbin Holtzman, senior Daniel Walsh, senior Eiton Kantor, sophomore Will Rosenfeld, and junior Will Hayes.
However, the team doesn’t consist of merely five players. Many of the new additions to the team seem to be showing real promise.
“Chris Cho has a lot of potential and could make a big splash this year,” senior Tommy Hummel said. “We also have a decent amount of new players that have shown real dedication.”
With all the new additions to the team, the Hounds are looking strong as a whole.
“Our team is strong overall,” Hummel said.
One reason that the team is looking strong overall is because everyone on the team is looking forward to the chance to improve his game.
“I slowed my swing speed down so now I am hitting the ball with a lot more accuracy and confidence,” Hummel said. “I hope to be able to shoot around 5 or 6 over par by the end of the season.”
However, achieving such a goal such as Hummel’s is easier said than done.
The team plays at Gateway National Golf Links in Belleville, Illinois, which for many spectators is a long drive. However, many of the CHS players like the course including those new to the sport.
“I really like where we play,” freshman Josh Becker said. “The grounds are well kept and there is good staff there.”
Hummel and Holtzman agree with Becker.
After all is said and done, the team hopes that they will be making news not with scandals but with their superior play in the future. Their high hopes have kept them motivated and looking forward to the fruits of their labor.