Hounds ride El Caballo to victory

The Clayton baseball team finally had a game in which they got some breaks from the other team rather than handing them out as the team has done lately.  The team also finally had some timely and consistent production from the bottom part of their lineup to squeak out the win.

No player came up bigger than junior third baseman Cory Cannon in the nine hole.  Cannon went three-for-three in the game with three key RBI’s in the team’s 7-6 win over the district rival Westminster Wildcats.

“I owe it all to my Phiten necklace,” Cannon said.

Cannon’s  nickname on the team is El Caballo-Gato.  Indeed the team rode their big horse to a win.

Also coming up big for the team were junior pitchers Chase Linehan and Trevor Mills.  Linehan started the game and pitched for the first time in a month as he was finally healthy enough to take the mound.  Linehan went five innings, and gave up five runs but only one was earned.

Mills finished the last inning and a third for the Hounds as he worked out of a jam in the sixth and seventh for the save.  Mills also contributed two hits at the plate for the Hounds.

The team ran their record to 12-9 as they prepare to start the district playoffs on May 15 at noon at John Burroughs.  Before that though, the team plays at Windsor on May 11 before returning home for Senior Night on May 12 at 4 at Shaw Park against Berkeley.  The team will close out their regular season schedule on Thursday May 13 at Shaw Park against the St. Mary’s Dragons.