‘The Other Guys’ satisfies

The Other Guys is the best comedy of the summer.  Will Ferrell and Mark Walberg work together to form a brilliant comedic pair that wins over audiences’ hearts across America.  With a unique combination of action and humor, this classical police case film is as humorous as it is dramatically entertaining.

Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell spoof the buddy movies in "The Other Guys". (Used with permission of Columbia Pictures)

Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz, played by Ferrell and Walberg respectively, are at the bottom of the police force barrel.  The full of extent of their job is doing paperwork for the more popular and traditional cop pair Danson (Dwayne Johnson) and Highsmith (Samuel L. Jackson).

However, when Danson and Highsmith die on the job it is Gamble and Hoitz’s turns to step up.  They take on a minor missing permit case that becomes more and more complicated the closer they get to solving it.  Through this case, Gamble and Hoitz become better people and better friends.

For this feature film to become a hit, it needed to fill the criteria for a good action movie as well as a good comedy.  Shooting scenes, high speed chases, explosions, and hand-to-hand combat are all well choreographed to be suspenseful as well as funny.

Special effects were not over-used, a common issue in many recent motion pictures.  The witty dialogue, plot and character development keeps the audience interested without a need for overly dramatic explosions.

The first and foremost reason that The Other Guys is better than any other comedy of its type is that it is not a parody.  Many comedies rely on poking fun at classic and popular movies and adopt a similar plot.  With an original script, the jokes are hardly necessary to make this movie a hit.

However, writers Adam McKay and Chris Henchy enhance the experience using many different elements of comedy.  Despite some use of cruel language and adult content, this movie could be appealing to anyone looking for a fun way to spend an hour and a half.