Varsity football team works towards a redemptive season

The football team is already hard at work preparing for the upcoming fall season.

The way the Greyhound football team prepares for a new school year may be slightly different than most.

While many students spend the week before school savoring their last moments of relaxation, the football team can be found sweating through two-a-days in hopes of fulfilling a promising season.

Two-a-days are a new addition to the team’s tough regimen this year.

“Having two-a-days has really helped,” sophomore and returning varsity player Tyler Walker said. “They get you in shape and make you work harder.”

Head coach Samuel Horrell agrees that two-a-days have benefitted the team.

“Any time you get more time to prepare for games, practice competition, get in some reps, and learn the game you put yourself in a position to be successful,” Horrell said.

Two-a-days aren’t the only dynamic changes being made to the Greyhounds.

Additions to the coaching staff and a new defensive formation have also been hallmarks of a fresh new season for the team.

Three new coaches have been added to the staff this year: Heath Kent as the special teams coach, Scott Weissman as the defensive coordinator, and Dan McMullin as the linebacker and wide receiver coach.
Weissman has played an especially essential role on the team, leading the defense in installing the new four-three formation. Nailing down this formation has taken a front seat in practices.

“Practices so far have focused on learning the new defense we have installed,” Horrell said. “Coach Weissman has the defensive guys excited and flying around making plays!”

Thanks to the dedication in practice, the defense seems to be progressing well.

“Our new defense is a strong point of the team,” senior and starting quarterback Chase Haslett said. “It does a good job of stopping the run.”

Practice doesn’t revolve solely around the defense, however. Early practices have been used to get the team in shape and focused on the upcoming season.

“In practice we make sure we’re going 100 percent,” junior Luke Ulrich said. “We focus on getting out there all day and working hard.”

The team held two scrimmages this summer in order to prepare for their jamboree to be held Aug. 20 at 5:30 p.m.

After coming off of a disappointing last season, the team is eager to prove their skill on the field.  With more experienced players and fresh motivation, the Greyhounds look forward to a more successful season this year.

“We have more wide receivers and depth and a more experienced offensive line this year than last year,” Haslett said. “I’m looking forward to winning a few games this year.”

Horrell agrees that the team’s experience in many positions is an advantage.

“We are returning four of five starters on the offensive line and returning a good quarterback this year,” Horrell said. “We also have some athletic players returning with good speed.”

Staying healthy will also be a focus of the team this year, as injuries constantly impeded last year’s team from reaching their full potential.

More than anything else, however, this year’s Greyhounds value and take pride in the heart they bring to the field.

“We have a lot of heart and we just have to want it more than the other team,” Walker said. “I’m really excited about this season.”