India Palace delivers good food, new tastes

Though most people have experienced the countless number of oriental restaurants, a rare delicacy people often overlook in St. Louis is Indian food. Although people are unfamiliar with the different kinds of spices, India Palace is sure to make Indian food a new favorite.

I had first heard of India Palace from some family friends. They recommended the $9.95 Monday through Friday and the $12.95 Saturday through Sunday lunch buffet. A fan of Indian food, I decided to go in the slim time slot of 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

When I first arrived to India Palace, I was not impressed. Already impatient from the elevator ride to the 11th floor, I was further displeased with the service. I was waiting at the “Please be Seated” sign for a waiter to direct me to a table. Though there were several waiters, some occupied and others not, they all ignored me and expected another waiter to seat me. After five to ten minutes, a waiter finally decided to come to my stomach’s rescue.

Not wanting to wait any further, I walked immediately to the buffet section, where I was once again disappointed by the small selection of foods. Only having around 10 items to choose from, including dessert and salad, I decided to get a little bit of everything and had a seat.

Unhappy with my first impression of the restaurant, I failed to realize the location of the restaurant. At the 11th floor of the Airport Plaza Inn, there was a beautiful view from the surrounding windows of the restaurant. Since the restaurant is located by the airport, I also saw a couple airplanes launch off the airstrip, a very unique form of entertainment.

While looking outside, I finally picked up a fluffy yet crispy piece of nan, the traditional baked leavened bread, and dipped it into the red chicken tikka masala, a kind of curry made with tomato sauce. To my surprise, the food was delicious. I quickly grabbed another piece of nan and this time tried the goat curry, which is a famous kashmiri delicacy. Unfamiliar with goat meat, I hesitated in trying a piece, but did not regret it. It was different, but at the same time similar to beef and it left a pleasant aftertaste in my mouth.

The last dip was the palak channa, which is made up of spinach and garbanzo beans mixed in a mild crème sauce. Though I do not like spinach, in this particular sauce, it did not taste like spinach or garbanzo beans. It was a whole new flavor and was my favorite out of the three sauces. I had completely forgotten about the negative factors and enjoyed my meal.

The great thing about the different sauces was not just the taste but the variety in taste. Being able to switch up the order of the different tastes, I did not tire of any taste and felt encouraged to consume more.

One last great thing about India Palace lunch buffet is the unlimited amount of rice, nan, and the notorious tandoori chicken. Tandoori chicken is seen in all Indian restaurants, but the red meat broiled over mesquite left a distinguished taste in India Palace. Though other tandoori chicken taste a little plain, this chicken had a particular barbecue flavor to it, leaving the mouth watering for more. The vegetable pakora, which is made up of fresh vegetable slices dipped in garbanzo bean batter, also added a nice balance to the tandoori chicken, grains, and the different curries.

Though the selection of foods is quite small and the service may be a bit unsatisfying, the low price for a buffet made up of delicious delicacies overrules the negative factors. By far, India Palace is the best place for Indian food in St. Louis and I am sure to return soon.