“Unanimous Opposition” by Former Mayors to Districts Plan

Proposed+plan+for+Caleres+site.+
Proposed plan for Caleres site.

The Globe obtained a verified letter addressed to the superintendent and the board from all of the former living mayors of Clayton. They wrote in “unanimous opposition” to the pending purchase. “To complete such a purchase would cause untold harm to our/your City and to the region and drive a serious wedge between the School District and your residents.” 

The district noted, however, “we believe this acquisition presents a unique, pivotal opportunity. 

In their letter, the mayors noted the potential for a public-private partnership. 

“It would be very unwise for School Board members to be saddled with time-consuming non-educational, complex property development challenges,” they wrote. 

They further elaborated that projects like that would involve various approvals from local government and the process would be lengthy and distracting.

This all comes after Superintendent Nisha Patel announced in an email to the community on Jan. 2 plans to purchase the property for an undisclosed figure. In the message, she unveiled for the first time to the public the “Empowerment Campus Project,” which she described, “The plan will serve as the District’s roadmap for its physical needs for the foreseeable future.” stating that it “will be guided by our Profile of the Clayton Graduate,” 

In an exclusive letter, The Globe obtained a draft copy, (in the exclusive letter) of the plans to develop the former Caleres headquarters. The plans outline that the Staenberg Group may take the lead as the main developer. The plan The Globe received for the Caleres property indicates a commercial development. It is unclear how this commercial development relates to Clayton’s “Empowerment Campus Project.”

In an email exchange with Board President Amy Rubin, the developer, Michael Staenberg, concedes that this plan will likely be controversial with community members. The controversy is exacerbated by the secrecy that has plagued the announcement. Additionally, Clayton residents launched a campaign over the weekend to protect their current tax prices. Flyers were placed in mailboxes: “You can share your comments with the superintendent and School Board members by email or phone.”

The district in a statement to The Globe maintains that, “our relationship with the City is of immense value to us. We intend to work cooperatively with the City of Clayton, as stated previously, throughout this process and hope this acquisition will open doors for collaborative projects not only with the City but with other stakeholders as well.

The draft is modeled after Staenberg’s “Hub at the District” in Chesterfield. The original Hub features a Hi-Pointe, Four Hands Brewing Company, and a 400-person pavilion. The plans mention the possibility to “generate 20 to 30 million in sales.” Also mentioned is the possibility of adding office space above the retail space.