Outside the Bubble: Exploring the Central West End

Central West End’s main intersection is home to numerous resturants and cafes including 24-hour Coffee Cartel. (Laura Kratcha)

Youthful yet seeped in signs of times past, bustling yet open, intellectually stimulating yet completely fun, St. Louis’s Central West End embodies everything the rest of the city strives to be. This neighborhood, just past Forest Park, offers a wide array of sights, tastes and shopping opportunity to the Claytonite willing to step just outside of the all-too-familiar, bubbled-in stomping ground.

The first detail visitors to the Central West End are likely to notice is the architecture. Every building seems to be embellished with arches, stone detailing, and beautiful old brick facades. Beside the old structures stand some new ones, too, which add texture to the streets but don’t interrupt the feel of the neighborhood. Right next to the shopping district are residential streets lined with houses pretty enough to warrant a self-guided walking tour. Just don’t plan to park there since most of those communities are gated.

Statues seem to contribute significantly to the population of the CWE. Restaurants and stores alike feature free-standing art for no apparent reason except that the visual is cool. The feel of the neighborhood is distinctly artsy. Even the Starbucks sits behind a statue of two larger-than-life Chinese businessmen staring expressionlessly down at its patrons.

INSERT
The Central West End offers visitors a variety of shops from Left Bank Books to the Coffee Cartel. (Laura Kratcha)

The visitor interested in shopping will not be disappointed by the Central West End. From boutiques to antique stores, the neighborhood has a lot to offer in its shops.

Rothschild’s Antiques was the most eye-catching establishment with its multitude of colorful children’s chairs lined up in front. Upon entering, the store’s interior lived up to its sidewalk attractions.

Antique toys, a bookshelf organized entirely by color, a collection of frames, and many more oddities and rarities filled Rothschild’s from wall to wall. Descend to the basement to find the dustier, though not lower quality, items. None of the pieces were shabby or decrepit, and they all seemed like objects that could actually contribute to the furnishing of a well-decorated modern home.

Of course, no trip to the CWE would be complete without a stop at Left Bank Books. There the literature enthusiast may choose from a selection of new books on the top floor and an equally vast range of used books in the basement. Available books vary from the very popular, like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, to the less mainstream, such as Left Bank’s impressive collection of used LGBT interest books. When in doubt, the browser in need of a new read can always find the used fiction section and pull down the first interesting spine for an opportunity to purchase an inexpensive paperback.

INSERT
Stop by at Kopperman's for their classic deli sandwiches. (Laura Kratcha)

When the weary visitor needs some caffeine after all of that shopping,  Coffee Cartel can provide the required stimulant. The coffee shop, a Central West End staple, is open 24/7.

Or if you’re in need of a bit more substantive pick-me-up, the Central West End offers a large spread of dining options. Order a bowl of French onion soup at Duffs or a huge deli sandwich at Kopperman’s, stop for a crepe at Crepes Etc., or take a chance on one of many enticing restaurants in the area.

With such a close, multi-faceted place to go, there is no reason not to leave the Clayton bubble for some fun.

For a review of Kopperman’s, click here.