Cross-country squad adds new runners, ambitions

This year the CHS cross country team went from having a substantial number of runners to being loaded up with new team members. This was a huge shock for some of the participants, and it betters the team’s chances of going to state later in the fall.
Sophomore Derrick Stone describes his initial reaction as being overjoyed.
“When I was a freshman and I had to come out for the team, there were a few people,” Stone said. “I felt like we needed more, so when I came to the first few practices this year I was very happy to see that a lot more people have come out.”
Although the majority of the new runners are freshmen, there are many upperclassman as well.
“I’d say we probably have 12 freshmen that are on the team,” coach Kurtis Werner said. “Overall, the majority of us are upperclassmen and that’s the first time we’ve had that since I’ve been head coach.”
However, not all of the cross country runners coming out for the team are solely focused on long distance running.
“Not only are we getting freshman, but we’re getting a lot of upperclassmen coming out to train for other sports.” Stone said.
The reason for the addition of all these new runners is mostly because cross country is a sport that anyone can get involved in without having previous experience.
“It’s been sort of a growing process where it’s something younger kids can get involved in, and be successful and have a lot of fun,” Werner said. “And that’s sort of spread. Coach Etling and I are fairly young. We still run with the team. I think that sets a good example for younger students of what to follow.”
One would think that having a large team would be a good thing, but it does have its ups and downs.
“Obviously your top five are actually what score in a cross country meet,” Werner said. “It’s just a lot of fun to have more people. It’s a large atmosphere and everybody gets along really well.”
Werner also said that large teams are very hard to keep track of.
“You have to differentiate with students and their ability levels,” Werner said. “That being said we have three coaches so it’s a little bit easier. We split up the freshman; they go do their thing. Coach Etling runs the five-mile with one group and I’ll run the six-mile with another group.”
Bigger teams may be able to score you more points and beat the opposition, but sometimes your opponents can end up being on your team. Competitiveness has grown tremendously amongst the runners.
“I think especially among the boys you see some competition for those varsity spots,” Werner said. “This is the first year where I’ve really seen seniors battling for a spot on the varsity roster. It used to be if you were a senior, you’re almost automatically going to run on the varsity team.”
Stone also said that he thinks that individual players will have to step up their game because some of the new incoming freshman will be a bit of competition.
Although there may be some competition, the runners are still supportive of one another.
“I think having support makes me run faster,” Junior Katia Nonet said. “When I see someone I know I just want to keep going and show them my best. It makes me feel good when people watch and cheer me on.”
Along with the large team, old rivalries will be re-kindled this season.
“Our whole goal in our school is to beat Ladue,” Werner said. “I would also like to qualify a boys’ team for state and a girls’ team. I think both are obtainable.”
Nonet also says that with a larger team they will have a better chance at having a runner faster than one from University City or Ladue in the meets.
With an incoming season Nonet and Stone both hope to increase their running times drastically in order to make it to state.
The extraordinary number of runners this year will make a huge difference this season and in the many seasons to come.
“I want them to take away from cross country that this is a life long activity,” Werner said. “Running doesn’t necessarily go away. It’s a great way to meet people, get involved and have a little bit of fun.”