Male Athlete of the Month

Senior Captain Kameron Stewart leads the Varsity football team in their trek towards a redeeming season. With three games thus far, Stewart leads the team offensively with six touchdowns and 544 yards rushing.
Head Coach Sam Horrell has high expectations for the returning starter this year.
“We expect Kameron to be a positive leader in the school and on the football field,” Horrell said. “He should be one of our most productive members of our offensive and defensive units.”
In the first game of the season, Stewart proved to be quite productive. According to Horrell, “He rushed for over 100 yards in the first game of the year and led the defense to shutting down Lutheran North’s offense to 139 yards. He individually had as many yards as the entire Lutheran North offense.”
Stewart would follow with another outstanding performance in the second game against Borgia. He rushed for a total of 269 yards and had 3 touchdowns. The Clayton run game was unstoppable with Stewart in the backfield.
Yet, his performance does not happen without hard work. Stewart spent the offseason weight lifting and running to prepare for his last season as a Greyhound.
According to Assistant Varsity Coach Barry Ford, Stewart spent the summer running each morning at 6:30, and “deserves to be athlete of the month because he has worked for it not only on the field, but in the offseason.”
Stewart’s work ethic is respected by both the coaches and his teammates.
Sophomore Co-Captain Tyler Walker sees Stewart as having the same role as his teammates, but who is also a reputable leader.
“Kameron’s role is just like everyone else on the team,” Walker said. “He’s supposed to stay in his correct alignment and do his correct assignment. But since he’s a captain he’s looked up to more than others and to come through when the team is really in need. He offers a great amount of leadership. I respect how hard he works on and off the field. Practice, game, school, weight room. But he also is like a big brother. If I ever need anything I can go to him.”
Along with offseason training, according to Stewart “to be a good football player, you have to be fearless and prepared to make a game changing play. A good team has to trust each other to play their responsibilities and be accountable.”
Walker enjoys playing alongside Stewart both offensively and defensively.
“Playing alongside him is pretty fun,” Walker said. “He always encourages me when I’m down and picks the team up with his play making ability. [He’s] by far the best running back I’ve seen.”
Every game the football team’s ability to trust one another is put to the test. And it is this test and challenge that each game presents which Stewart enjoys most.
“My favorite thing about playing is working hard with my team and putting everything together on Friday nights,” Stewart said.
It is clear that each play Stewart is unwilling to quit, he struggles against the eleven opponents attempting to take him down, and each play he gets up again ready to pound the ball through a second time.
“What separates him from others is his work ethic and his game play,” Walker said. “He never quits on himself or his team, always going 100%.”
Stewart has high hopes for the future of his football career, hoping to play Division I or Division I-AA next year.