Outside the Bubble: Exploring The Hill

Only in a neighborhood like the Hill can you drive around small residential streets in an obvious state of confusion and have people wave cheerily at you from their front yards rather than glare at the teenagers apparently joyriding in an aged Oldsmobile.

A curbside arrangement of brightly colored florals adds character to the St. Louis area referred to as The Hill, which is known for its prominent Italian heritage, which is displayed everywhere-- in signs, color schemes, and, of course, the copious number of flags.

Yet wave the residents of the Hill did when photographer Hannah and I, with some difficulty, navigated the neighborhood. Despite our apparent knack for getting lost, we enjoyed the rows of thin, deep-set houses and the friendly people inhabiting them. Of course, about every third house had an Italian flag flying, and ivy covered many of the facades.

Once we found our way to an open pizzeria (a word to the wise: Sunday is not the best day to visit the Hill since most places are closed then), we were pleased to discover that Rizzo’s Station Pizzeria is a small, privately-owned restaurant humbly proclaiming “Cash And Debit Only.”

The gelato shop Gelato Risa is officially CHS Globe taste-tested and approved. Order this richer version of ice cream in true Italian style-- Piccolo, Medio, or Grande.

We ordered a vegetarian pizza (although tasty-looking options for the meat-loving were also available), which arrived at our outdoor table promptly and heaping with cheese and toppings. The thin-crust pizza was delicious and cost effective, coming to under $20 with drinks and plenty to take home, although customers are advised to bring cash since there was a service charge for using the debit machine.

Hungry for some Italian dessert, we asked our waitress to direct us to a Gelato shop. She happily recommended Gelato Riso, and we were not disappointed. Their selection of Gelato (which, a quick Google search on Hannah’s iPhone taught us, is distinct from ice cream because of its richness and higher fat content) was excellent.

The toasted almond was particularly unique and scrumptious. We were also tickled to witness a pair of nuns in full habits from the Catholic church across the street walk in to have some Gelato themselves.

If you’re looking for a more upscale eating experience, we recommend Gain-Tony’s Ristorante. The menu’s offerings are vast, and the service is prompt. Their traditional Italian pasta dishes are delicious, but we do not recommend the lamb. The restaurant’s Sunday dinner hours are, however, a redeeming quality.

Although most shops were closed on Sunday, we found a variety of interesting stores for window-shopping. Skif offers a variety of hand-knitted garments, and its windows feature a spread of huge black and white high-fashion photos. You can have your hair done like an Italian at salons, such as one with the irresistible name of Salono Milano, which featured two mannequin heads with pink wigs and dark sunglasses.

The Hill is home to the headquarters of Skif International, a fashion label based in St. Louis which sells unique machine-knitted sweaters and clothing. Check out the panorama of black-and white fashion photos the store has displyed outside for an extra treat.

Amighetti’s Bakery looked like a prime place to purchase Italian baked goods, like cannoli. Finally, check out the Italian-American Bocce Club, founded, as their plaque proudly declares, July of 1975.

Overall, our experience in the Hill was a good one. The neighborhood has the potential to provide a venue for a fun afternoon with friends or an impressive venture out of Clayton with a member of the opposite sex. Either way, you will enjoy your trip outside the bubble because of this neighborhood’s unique cultural flavor.