October Male Athlete of the Month: Charlie Harned

Returning varsity soccer player, junior Charlie Harned currently leads the Hounds on the field with nine goals thus far in the season. Harned’s 12 years of experience and strong work ethic allow him to be a more flexible player and a great asset to the team.
According to Head Coach Tom Redmond, despite primarily being a forward Harned is able to step up to challenge at any position due to his experience.

Junior Charlie Harned fights for the ball during the game against Burroughs. The game ended in a 1-1 tie.(Elizabeth Sikora)
Junior Charlie Harned fights for the ball during the game against Burroughs. The game ended in a 1-1 tie. (Elizabeth Sikora)

“He is one of our more versatile players and he can play several positions,” Redmond said. “Most of the time he plays forward, but we have used him in the midfield and even in the backfield for a game, when we had several players out with injuries”
Senior Christian Wolfgram believes what separates Harned from his teammates is “grit and determination. As he chants before every game, ‘Anything is Possible.’”
Harned prepared for the season by working in the offseason, in the weight room, and making an investment in protein powder.
“Working hard at practice and games sets a standard for me to work hard at other things in life,” Harned said.
Redmond notes Harned’s strong work ethic as well as his likable and positive attitude.
“Charlie has a high work rate and he seems to know where to position himself on the field, to get into goal scoring situations,” Redmond said. “He has a very good attitude about practice and the games, and he is very popular among his teammates. “
Wolfgram also attests to Harned’s positive presence both in games and practice.
“He never complains about a call or foul, he just keeps on playing,” Wolfgram said. “He also keeps us laughing during practice.”
According to Harned, it is work ethic that determines the success of most teams and athletes.
“At the high school level its one part athleticism and one part ‘who wants it,’” Harned said. “You’d be surprised how many opportunities arise for players who work hard. As a team we have to work real hard always keep one goal in mind, winning.”
A three-year varsity player, Harned adds experience as well as a strong drive to be excellent to the team.
“He already is one of our team leaders even as a junior,” Redmond said. “I look for him to be one of our captains next season and provide even more leadership.”
Harned has high expectations for the remainder of the season.
“My goal is to win state,” Harned said. “I plan on meeting this goal, because if you don’t plan on winning then you won’t win. Districts start at the end of October, so I want to see everyone in the stands.”