New Winter Sport Coaches

Kevin Davis

Freshman Girls’ Basketball Coach, JV Boys’ Assistant Soccer Coach

Did you play any sports in high school? If so what position?
I played 5 sports, but at different times.
Soccer 4 years- Sweeper.
Lacrosse 2 years – Midi.
Basketball 1 year – Power Forward.
Football 1 year- Kicker.
Golf 1 year.

Did you continue playing in college? Where?
I turned down a few scholarship offers for soccer and decided to not play sports in college. But the Truman State coach asked me to play football, so I redshirted as a kicker, but quit after my first year. I quit because the time commitment was too much for me.

How long have you been coaching?
This is my first year as a head coach. I’ve coached younger teams in the past and was the JV assistant soccer coach this fall.

Why did you start coaching?
I have always loved sports. No matter what it is, I like to play. I also like teaching people new things. Coaching is a great way to do both!

What advice do you have for athletes? What qualities do you look for in your players?
Advice to Athletes – If you don’t love what you do, then don’t do it.
Qualities – Hardworking, Dedicated, and Respectful.

Who is your favorite pro-athlete?
Scottie Pippen!

What is your favorite pump up/workout song?
Battle song from Last of the Mohicans.

Ron Lefcourt

JV Girls’ Basketball Coach

Did you play any sports in high school? If so what position and at what school?
I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and played basketball and tennis for Deerfield High School.  I played guard on the b-ball team.

I didn’t play basketball in college and I turned down a tennis scholarship at Mizzou.  I ended up attending the University of Illinois.

How long have you been coaching?
I coached in Chicago for 4 years and have been coaching basketball in St. Louis for the past 11 years.  This is my second time around at Clayton.  When I first starting coaching in St. Louis, I coached the Freshmen and was varsity assistant at CHS.

Why did you decide to start coaching?
In one way or another I’ve been around the game most of my life and I enjoy the challenge of building a team and seeing the growth of the players.  I enjoy the relationship and interaction with the student athletes and I get a lot of satisfaction being able to provide some knowledge about the game as well as life in general.

My advice is always; if something is worth doing, it’s worth doing well and to the best of your ability.  I look for players who have a great attitude, are willing to work hard and play hard, show respect to others and most of all have fun while they’re doing it.

Who is your favorite pro-athlete and why?
Michael Jordan is my favorite professional athlete.  Being from Chicago I had the chance to see him play in person many times.  I never have seen an athlete with a greater desire to achieve and succeed.  He prided himself on being the best at all facets of the game; not just shooting and scoring.

My favorite “pump up” songs would be any song by The Ramones or “Wolf” by Rancid.

Anything else you want to add?
Only that I’m looking forward to coaching at Clayton and feel privileged to have a great group of girls on my JV team.