Lady Softball Hounds trounce Eagles, 23-13

There was no need to know the exact score at Tuesday’s Varsity Softball game, the constant roar of approval from the enthusiastic bench was more than enough to get a little indication of how things were going.

The Greyhounds defeated their opponents, the Brentwood Eagles, in just five innings on Sept. 16 with a final score of 23-13. Thanks to a number of wild pitches from the Eagles, the Greyhounds got off to a good start scoring 12 in the first three innings and allowing the Eagles to score only once.

It looked like the game was a sealed deal, but things got sticky in the fourth inning. The Eagles mounted an incredible comeback at the top of the fourth, scoring 10 runs no outs. After a couple of errors by the Greyhounds and a stream of hits from the Eagles, the score was 12-11 and it looked the tide had turned.

The Greyhounds called a timeout, and after making a few substitutions, the team took the field once again. It turned out a regroup was just what they needed; the Hounds struck out the next three players and put a quick end to the comeback.

Pitching was the Eagles’ Achilles’ heel once again in the bottom of the fourth; the Hounds were able to score six runs off of wild pitches as well as two runs batted in. The top of the fifth saw the Hounds leading the Eagles by 8, having regained their comfortable lead.

The only action the Eagles saw in the 5th was a huge hit that resulted in two runs scored, and the Hounds were able to give the game an early end by scoring three quick runs when it was their turn to bat (rules state that if a team leads by 10 or more by the fifth inning the game will be ended at that time).

“I think it started out really well,” center-fielder Lauren Hill said. “We had some trouble in the fourth inning, but we were able to pull it out.”

The Eagles’ defeat was due mainly to their difficulties with pitching: they gave up 20 walks over the course of five innings and had to change their pitcher three times. In contrast, starting pitcher Haley Wartman and closing pitcher Nina Murov gave up a combined number of four walks.

“It’s a really young team and we’re still learning,” head coach Allie Parks said. “Obviously we won today, but the most important thing is getting better every game.”

View Comments (3)
$150
$2000