Underclassmen step up after injuries hurt wrestling team

The wrestling team proudly carries the title of the “hardest working team” at CHS. Wrestlers can be seen flying around the Clayton Center’s track, they can be found in the weight room getting big, and if one were to pass by the wrestling room, tucked away on Stuber’s balcony, they can be heard hitting the matts all in one day’s practice.
“It’s a lot more work conditioning wise,” senior Captain Jordan Henry said. “We run as much as the cross country team some days, and we also lift and wrestle on top of that so it’s hard work.”
The practice is so rigorous that in comparison competitions are a walk in the park.
“When our guys have a dual meet or a tournament it’s kind of like a day off for them,” head coach Doug Verby said. “They’re only wrestling for six minutes or they have three or four matches, whereas a normal practice they’re going all out for two and a half hours.”
Sophomore Edward Davis feels that the toughness and individuality of the sport separates it from most others.
“Wrestling is an individual sport in which you have to be aggressive, tough, smart, and defensive,” Davis said. “You have to strategize and always be a step ahead of your opponent as well as disciplined and determined.”
While the individual aspect of the sport sets it apart, the team atmosphere is still vital to their success.
“During practice we need everyone to be there so we can do things together,” Henry said. “Also the meets are team based, so if we all come together we can win meets. Last year we won a tournament and got a trophy so without the team that wouldn’t be possible.”
Thus far in the season the team has faced adversity, trying to overcome the loss of certain team members and injuries. In last weekend’s all suburban tournament two more wrestlers were injured, one with a broken collarbone and the other with a broken nose.
Due to injuries, missing weight, and a lack of commitment, a number of freshmen and new additions to the team have stepped up.
Sophomore Colin Shenberger joined the team this year and has been a great addition to the team.
“He’s done a great job,” Verby said. “He came in in great shape, he’s tough mentally, he works hard, and he never gives up during a match. He’s a great addition for us this year.”
January is expected to be a tough month for the team, with two dual tournaments a week plus a tournament on the weekend.
“We have a Tri-Meet with Ladue and Brentwood,” Davis said. “And a meet with Berkeley during these next two weeks but overall, its up to seven meets until we wrestle at districts, so by the time districts do come around we will be ready.”
While Verby is slightly disappointed by the rough start to the season, he has high expectations for the remainder of the season.
“We’d love to repeat a champion of the U-City tournament, place high in the Priory tournament, and qualify some people for state,” Verby said. “I think we have a really good opportunity. We dealt with some adversity, but the core of our team is still going along.”
Henry sees the season as an “uphill battle,” but instead of being concerned with the early struggles of the season he looks to improve on a daily basis.
“I just take it day by day, and win by win,” Henry said.
Verby shares this optimistic view for the remainder of the season.
“We’re wrestling tough,” Verby said. “We’re doing a real nice job, but we faced adversity and hopefully that’s over.”