Outside the Bubble: Exploring Tower Grove Park and South Grand

The heart of South City is in the green trees and Chinese-style gazebos of Tower Grove Park. Home to seasonal farmers’ markets and the famous International Festival, the Park brings an eclectic mix of people and activities. A gift to St. Louis from the generous bank account of Henry Shaw, this park is a thriving piece of St. Louis history.

A artistic pavilion in Tower Grove Park. (Regine Rosas)

From the young hipsters who have recently invaded the area to the elderly men and women who have inhabited the area for decades, you can find a wide variety of people in the park. Tower Grove Park is lined with streets of urban townhouses and delicate, elaborate mansions. Some houses sport plaques stating the year that the home was built. Many of the houses date all the way back to when the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair, making this area a permanent reminder of the great city St. Louis was built to be.

Overlooking the park, Arsenal Street meets South Grand and buds into an area filled with coffee shops, bars and bookstores.

MoKaBe’s coffee shop moved to this corner in 1994 and has since established itself as a fixture both in the neighborhood and in the LGBT community. Most of the regulars are recovering alcoholics so they gather around the bar for delicious coffee drinks. You can get a plain cup of coffee, or one of their delicious concoctions created to mimic a mixed alcoholic drink. The menu ranges from vegan breakfast burritos to French Dip sandwiches. MoKaBe’s is perfect for people watching, eavesdropping, and the best cup of coffee in South City.

City Diner is a 50’s-style diner that serves all of the classic diner favorites. It’s open for 24 hours on the weekends, so it’s the perfect place to grab a 3 a.m. stack of pancakes. For the last ten years, Sauce Magazine has voted it the best diner in St. Louis. According to the Riverfront Times, City Diner also has the best grilled cheese, biscuits and gravy, and pancakes. Stop in for a malt at the counter or an oldies tune from the jukebox.

Dunaway Books is a haven for lovers of used books. It’s filled wall-to-wall with books: all used, all cheap, and in good condition. It was voted the best used bookstore by the Riverfront Times and there is literally something there for everyone. With a first floor and basement filled to brim with books, it is extremely doubtful that you will leave empty-handed.

The King and I is the perfect Thai food restaurant. St. Louis has a large selection of Thai restaurants, but if you haven’t eaten at the King and I, you’re missing out. With an extensive classic Thai menu and special booths that are dug into the ground (you actually crawl into them), it is quite the experience.  For a more traditional meal, try Lemongrass, a Vietnamese restaurant next door to King & I. From Vietnamese curry to lemongrass dishes  to their signature “hot pot” dishes, Lemongrass has lots of wonderful dishes to choose from.

Petra’s is a Mediterranean restaurant and hookah bar. The bar extends all the way down a thin hallway with small rooms filled with art, hookah smoke, and South Grand regulars. Petra’s is a great example of the nightlife in the area.

The South Grand and Tower Grove Park area is filled with beautiful and exciting things to do. From the Park itself, to the restaurants and shops surrounding it, this area is one part of St. Louis that you really shouldn’t miss.