Satisfy your pot’s desire

Your Pot’s Desire truly does live up to its name by providing a wide range of unfinished pottery for you to put your own creative touches on. Whether you plan a party or just come spur of the moment, you can literally paint whatever your heart desires whenever you want.

Your Pot’s Desire is a store in the Delmar Loop that provides unglazed pottery to anyone who needs a creative outlet. People of all ages and experience can create something beautiful, like the teapot pictured above. (Regin Rosas)
Your Pot’s Desire is a store in the Delmar Loop that provides unglazed pottery to anyone who needs a creative outlet. People of all ages and experience can create something beautiful, like the teapot pictured above. (Regine Rosas)

“This is a paint your own pottery studio where customers come in and select a piece of potter,” owner Brittany Crittenden said. “This is pottery that is unfinished. It’s called bisque. We have a wide variety of items. Mugs, bowls, travel mugs, vases, pots, platters and plates. We have a lot of different kinds of figurines as well. Everything is fully functional once it’s been fired, so you can drink out of the cups and eat off of the plates.”
A shop like this definitely adds flair to Delmar Boulevard.
“Making pottery was a hobby of ours,” Crittenden said. “There are two owners, myself and Whitney Wade. We’re sorority sisters, so this is just a fun idea we had. We enjoyed it so much we wanted to bring one to the area. I’m also a business major. I graduated from St. Louis University took an entrepreneurship to Greece, so I studied starting a business and my dad has a business. I was following in his footsteps somewhat. I just always wanted to start my own business. I wanted to put my studying skills and my research to use. So I started this.”
With the holiday season coming, instead of buying something generic at a chain store, Your Pot’s Desire gives one the ability to make something unique to give to family members.
“For the holiday season we have ornaments, holiday figures such as Santa and Reindeer figurines and Christmas Trees, Angels and such,” Crittenden said. “We also have several Hanukkah pieces like dreidels and Stars of David and things like that as well.”
Along with a new variety of figurines, the store also has a number of specials for the holiday season.
“We have a lot of outside specials,” Crittenden said. “A lot of our specials happened after Thanksgiving; however, we do stuff with Living Social and we’re in the Town Planner Calendar. There’s so many different coupons in there like buy one get one free and buy one get one half off. There’s a lot of easy ways to save, so it’s not going to be super expensive to make pottery here.”
If you are someone who is not creative or crafty type Your Pot’s Desire provides several example books, stencil and stamps to help guide your creativity.
“I want to stress that you don’t have to be an artist to work here,” Crittenden said. “We have a lot of creative aid like sponges and carbon paper where we can transfer a pattern or image right unto your piece. It’s very, very easy. You don’t have to be a skilled artist at all to be here and most of the time the people who come here are not.”
Overall the experience to be had at Your Pot’s Desire is one that cannot be found easily in other cities for this shop offers a unique experience to try something new and make something valuable that will last a lot longer than any Christmas sweater that you normally buy for your relatives.

To view a slide show of this story, click here.