Basketball Hounds shoot high

The Clayton High School athletic program has been excelling at many levels. With the soccer team finishing third at state and the football team going to the playoffs, the CHS Basketball team is hoping to continue this winning trend. However, this is not an easy task, not by a long shot.

With such high expectations, the basketball team is taking it one step at a time.

“Right now our goal is to get better every game,” assistant coach Mike Nelke said. “We are not so much as focused on winning a district or advancing to the state tournament, but just getting better so when the post- season starts we will be ready.”

Last year the Clayton Greyhounds went all the way to the district finals, eventually losing to rival MICDS. Many key players from last season graduated and as a result Clayton has adjusted to having new leaders and contributors on the team.

“We look to [semiors] Christian Thomas and Charlie Harned as our leaders,” Nelke said. “[Semior]Ahmad Smith and [junior] Clayton Buchanan have also shown some leadership. Those four are the only returning players we have from last year, so we really rely on those.”

With an abundance of youth on this team, the Hounds have had to adapt quickly and gain momentum heading into districts. As a result team chemistry has been stressed during practice.

“Chemistry has been good so far, but we’ll see how we do when we face some adversity,” Nelke said.
This chemistry can only come from one source. “These kids really want to win and enjoy competing, so it has not been too difficult to keep them motivated.”

At this point, the Hounds have melded together very well; however an injury to Charlie Harned will stagger original plans. Harned, junior, will be out for about three to six weeks with  an ankle injury during practice devastated the coaches.

“It was painful and I hate that I have to be out for a long time, but I believe in our team,” Harned said.

Smith has blossomed into an outside threat improving his three point shot in the offseason.

“I really worked hard last summer improving my three point shot,” Smith said. “This year, I want our team to win the district championship and maybe go deep at State.”

Thomas has averaged 21 points and 13 rebounds up to date and is tearing up the court whenever he steps on the court. With an 15-3 record, the Hounds are still hungry for more.

“These kids really want to win and enjoy competing, so it has not been too difficult to keep them motivated,” Head coach Ryan Luhning said.

Luhning praised the fans attendance, saying, “ It’s really neat to see our students rally around our team.”