Winter running club helps bridge gap between sports seasons

Despite bitter, frosty winter winds and mounds of snow, a small huddle of CHS students can be seen running daily after school. These students are part of the CHS winter Running Club, an up and coming club at CHS that is used by athletes as a helpful bridge between fall and spring sports as well as helpful tool for other students to get in shape.

Although the club has existed at CHS for several years, it has become much more popular and dedicated this year under the eyes of two cross-country and track coaches Kurtis Werner and Pat Sullivan.

Junior Matthew Millet runs in the snow after school with other members of winter running club. Members look to stay in shape between sport seasons to upkeep their levels of performance throughout the year.
Junior Matthew Millet runs in the snow after school with other members of winter running club. Members look to stay in shape between sport seasons to upkeep their levels of performance throughout the year. (Meredith McMahon)

The club meets every day after school from 3:20 p.m. to around 5:30. Usually about six people or so show up every day. “It’s very, very rare that we ever skip a day, and when we do, most people make up the running at home anyways,” sophomore Derrick Stone said.

The club has been around for quite a while at CHS.

“The idea of winter running club was actually founded well before I arrived at the school district by former cross country runners,” Werner said. “I have taken more of a direct approach and become involved with my other assistant coach to allow cross country and track runners a chance to get in shape for the upcoming season.”

The club does some serious running practice, much of which is very similar to workouts done by the cross country and track teams. The workouts usually alternate between long runs (six to seven miles), average runs (three to five miles), and speed workouts, which are on the track, involving running 200 meter repeats to 400 meter repeats.

“We do speed work days where we try to hit fast, consistent times on the track,” Stone said.

Winter running club is very preparatory based.

“Running club differs from the track and field season because it is mainly getting prepped for the upcoming season and workouts aren’t as intense,” Werner said.

The training is a serious deal to junior Matthew Millet, a cross country and track runner.

“This club isn’t just about staying in shape,” Millett said. “It’s about getting faster. I don’t think just anyone would want to go run five to six miles or run intervals in this kind of weather.”

Although very serious to some members, the club is also open to many people who want to stay in shape during the winter months.

“We’ve had a lot of people, not even on the team, come out and join,” Stone said. “It can help you a lot on the off season. It can especially help soccer players train in the off season. It gives you much more endurance if you can do what we do each day.”

Sophomore Matt Garrett agrees that the training has helped him bridge the gap between running seasons.

“Last year I was not motivated to keep up a regular training schedule, and come spring I was in poor shape for track,” Garrett said. “This year people can show up to their sport in shape and ready to build up from there.”

Millett thinks that the club has definitely helped him stay in shape for track in the spring.

“Had I not decided to do this [winter running club], when track season rolled around, I would have spent half the season getting back into shape and the second half getting better,” Millett said. “This way I have the opportunity to not only use the entire track season to get faster, but also take full advantage of the winter season.”

Stone suggests that the track season this spring has a better outlook because many members have been training with the club.

“Last year we lost a lot of conditioning because we took too much time off during this part of the year,” Stone said. “I think our team will definitely be more of a threat [to other competing teams] during track season just like we were during cross country season this year.”

Garrett agrees that the winter running club has many positive effects.

“I would most definitely recommend the winter running club because it will give any athlete a competitive edge against those who didn’t train in the off season,” Garrett said. “Also, running is great workout for anyone who wants to exercise.”

The winter Running Club looks forward to a bright future.

“I think [the club] will stay so long as we have the dedication that we do now,” Stone said. “Coach Werner and Sullivan have done a great job of motivating us through the off season during the club practices.”

Garrett also looks forward to the years to come.

“I think that with future support from the cross country and track programs along with other students who want to stay in shape, this club will hopefully be around for a while,” Garrett said. “I think that it would be great for other CHS students to get involved in running all year long.”