Clayton Classics: Despite outdated effects, old sci-fi films still please young viewers

“Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” produced by Steven Spielberg, came out in 1977. Back then, CGI was still new, and producers were actually better off using puppets. Today, films like “Avatar,” directed by James Cameron, and “Tron: Legacy,” directed by Joseph Koninski, are redefining the science fiction genre. Yet, for some reason, we’re still re-watching the classics.

Michael Sheen, left, and Garrett Ledlund, star in "Tron: Legacy," the remake of the 1980s original film. (MCT)

When I saw “Close Encounters,” I couldn’t help but smile at the plastic aliens. The spaceships glowed like broken disco balls. I still loved the movie.

The strongest part of “Close Encounters” was the plot. The story followed a power line worker who spotted an alien spacecraft. Left with a sunburn as his only proof, Roy Neary set out to learn the truth about the spaceship. At the end of the movie, Roy steps through a blinding light into the belly of the spacecraft.

The plot was original. It explores ideas like extra-terrestrial communication, as well as personal identity.

The movie’s lack of graphics forced it to focus on other photograph effects. Steven Spielberg’s filming was phenomenal. He used the camera to film up-close shots, giving the film intimacy. My favorite shots were the profiles that Spielberg shot of his characters. It made me feel like I was standing on the set.

Today, directors can afford to shoot scenes where planes are knocked out of the sky. The most amazing CGI effects of 2010 were found in “Avatar.” It explored a high-definition alien world. The battle scene at the end blew my mind. Unfortunately, “Avatar” lacked plot. The movie was predictable. James Cameron could have taken a few notes from Steven Spielberg on plot.

There’s no denying that graphics would have added to “Close Encounters.” Science fiction films rely more on special effects than any other genre. “Tron: Legacy,” which came out in 2010, grossed near $167 million. The original film, “Tron,” released in 1982, had almost the same plot, but only grossed around $27 million. Remaking “Tron” was a genius idea, because the movie thrived with better graphics.

As 3-D filming is more and more widely used, science fiction movies will benefit greatly. The classics we all enjoy, like “Close Encounters,” were made with simple technology. Using new special effects, science fiction movies can be taken to the next level. The older films are still worth watching. They pushed the technical limits of their time, but they also developed plots that would last generations. If you have never seen “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”, it’s definitely worth a rental or a download from Netflix.