2011 NFl Mock Draft 1st Round (Top 5)

Considering the complications regarding the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the NFLPA and the owners, the 2011 NFL draft is set to occur April 28-30 in NY’s Radio City Music Hall. The first round is on the 28th. There is still hope that the CBA situation can be settled out before the March deadline to avoid a NFL lockout. Here are my top 7 1st round predictions as the NFL offseason is soon to be underway.

1. Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, Auburn (DT)- Fairley’s stock has risen dramatically after his spectacular performance in the BCS National Championship Game. The Panthers are in need of a run-stopper after giving up an average of 124 yards per game (ypg) on the ground.

2. Denver Broncos: Da’Quan Bowers, Clemson (DE)- The Broncos failed miserably last year to get penetration through opponents’ offensive lines and managed to force only 23 sacks. They gave up the 7th most amount of passing yards with 236 ypg and need a defensive end to pair up with Elvis Dumervil and put pressure on the opposing QB’s.

3. Buffalo Bills: Prince Amukamara, Nebraska (CB)- With already the best defensive tackle taken off the board at this time, the Bills are in desperate need of a defensive playmaker.  Amukamara had 5 INT’s and 3 forced fumbles a year ago. His young talent could be a defensive duo with Clayton Alum and Jarius Byrd at the safety position.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, Georgia (WR): The Bengals could potentially lose WRs Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens to free agency and one of their top priorities is the WR position. They are also a potential buyer for a QB as Carson Palmer has demanded to be traded and could be in the free agency path.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Vonn Miller, Texas A&M (DE)- Miller had a great senior year with the Aggies collecting 68 tackles and 11 sacks. His pass-rushing ability is a must for the rebuilding Cardinals. Just like the Bengals, the Cardinals could soon be in the market for a free agent QB with Donovan McNabb, Marc Bulger, and Kevin Kolb scheduled to be unrestricted free agents.