Aron Ralston has only 127 hours

Actor James Franco stars in a scene for a movie "127 Hours."  (Chuck Zlotnick/Courtesy Fox Searchlight/MCT)
Actor James Franco stars in a scene for a movie "127 Hours." (Chuck Zlotnick/Courtesy Fox Searchlight/MCT)

Yes, the scene where James Franco cuts his arm off in “127 Hours” is disturbing. But, fortunately, that is not all the film is.

The movie is based on the true story of hiker Aron Ralston, who decided to take the adventure of a lifetime back in 2003 and hike in Utah’s Blue John Canyon. Events made a turn for the worst when Ralston fell down a shaft and ended up trapped by a huge boulder that pinned his right arm down. After five days of hunger, dehydration, and trying to free himself, Ralston was forced to make the only decision that would save his life—cut off his right arm.

Many wondered how director Danny Boyle would portray this unbelievable story. Boyle chose actor James Franco to play the role of Aron Ralston. Many knew Franco as the funny stoner in “Pineapple Express” or the villain in “Spiderman.” There was doubt about the choice to make Franco the lead role, but he proved them all wrong.

For more than an hour, the audience is trapped down in that hole with Franco. With only flashbacks and hallucinations to bring the audience away from the rock, Franco keeps the audience captivated with his amazing portrayal of Ralston’s passion and desire to survive.

To say that this is Franco’s best role is an understatement. This was his performance of a lifetime. Not only does Franco play a believable Ralston, he makes the audience experience the emotional feelings that go along with the character. He couldn’t have done it without the director.

Boyle had already impressed the movie industry with his Oscar winning film “Slumdog Millionaire.” But with “127 Hours,” it didn’t look like he had much to work with. For one thing, there is really no change of scenery, and, for another, there is only one main character. Boyle used every tool he had, and he used them well.

With the music and lingering sound effects, as an audience member, the only thing you could do to escape the tension of what Aron was going through was to turn away from the screen, because then you don’t have to see the blood. Boyle doesn’t shy away from showing the audience what cutting off an arm looks like. You see Ralston cut through both bones of his forearm. With the visuals and sounds coming together, the fact that it all looks so real is worse than the thought that a man is cutting off his own arm.

With the physical and emotional techniques Boyle uses, the audience can sense what Aron is feeling in that moment.

I recommend this film to anyone who wants to get a hint of what it feels like to be the subject of a true survival story. With the unbelievable effects and acting, “127 Hours” should be armed with an Oscar.