Lacrosse team uses past achievement to launch into the 2011 season

As the spring sports season comes into full swing, the Clayton girls’ Lacrosse team has been working hard to get in shape.

Girls’ lacrosse team cheers after practice. After a strong season, the team looks to build upon their past success.
Girls’ lacrosse team cheers after practice. After a strong season, the team looks to build upon their past success. (Caroline Stamp)

Lacrosse has become one of the most popular sports with both girls and boys at Clayton for the last couple of years, sometimes even taking players that used to play spring sports like soccer or track.  Sophomore Marin Garavalia thinks they have a lot of potential to do well this season.

“Lots of girls have shown excitement and motivation for the season, along with great skills,” said Garavalia. “This year we’ve been working out earlier and playing more to prepare.”

Christina Perrino, the varsity lacrosse coach, agreed.

“Last year was successful in many ways, so I am hoping that we take what we had, build on it even more and have a season full of hard work, accomplishment, improvement and fun,” Perrino said.

Junior Erica Eisenberg is also very excited.

“We have a lot of awesome returning players this year, who have been working very hard in the offseason,” Eisenberg said.

While there are a lot of returning girls, many new freshmen have expressed interest this year, as well.

“The freshmen that are new to Lacrosse are showing a lot of potential,” Eisenberg said. Eisenberg also has a strategy for this season.

“My strategy is to stay positive and to work together as a team. It will be nice to play on a team with people who have played together in previous seasons,” Eisenberg said.

Erin Bax, a senior who has played lacrosse all four years of high school, says that she is most excited for the Ladue game.
“They are definitely a good team, but we are too, and we can beat them,” Bax said.

It will be interesting to see what the new players bring to the table in this season of girl’s lacrosse. Coach Perrino added that she is “thrilled to be back on the field again with such a great group of girls. It’s wonderful to see the sport grow at CHS and it’s going to be a very exciting year of CHS lax.”