Graduates seek greater competition in college athletics

Each year a select group of CHS athletes step up their game and seek greater competition in college athletics. Just as the academic standards are raised so are the expectations for student-athletes, both in athletic skill and commitment and their ability to manage their schedules.

Class of 2010 graduate Don Stewart is currently playing football for Butler University.

“In college it is a lot more mental than it is physical,” Stewart said. “Working out is important, but if you don’t know what’s going on you are useless.”

Just as in high school, athletes are expected to maintain a good balance between their academics and sport. However, according to class of 2010 graduate Max Goldfarb, who plays lacrosse at Bates College, “balancing practice with school is definitely not easy.” Actual practices take up to about three and a half to four hours and on top of that players are expected to lift during the day.

Max Goldfarb, class of 2010 and three-year starter for the Greyhounds, now plays lacrosse at Bates College.  (Staff Archive)
Max Goldfarb, class of 2010 and three-year starter for the Greyhounds, now plays lacrosse at Bates College. (Globe Archive)

Izzy Fratt, class of 2010, plays field hockey at Cornell University and can attest to the difficulty of dealing with such a difficult schedule.

“I have to plan out my days really well, in order to balance my school work and practice,” Fratt said. “Practice takes up at least 4 hours of my day and then we have traveling on the weekend when were in season. But when were on the off season it is much easier because we don’t practice as often and have more days off.”

Along with balancing time, Stewart, Goldfarb, and Fratt describe a need for determination and hard work to be successful in college athletics.

“Well obviously to play in college you have to have some level of athleticism and talent, but I think the biggest thing is just hard work,” Goldfarb said. “[And] getting into the weight room more often than the next guy, and just putting in the extra effort that not everyone is willing to put in. The expectations are definitely different because what’s above and beyond in high school is not enough in college.”

Stewart offered a bit of advice for athletes looking to stand out in the competitive ranks of college athletics.

“Being able to compete and perfecting the little things is what separates you between the other competitors,” Stewart said.

According to Fratt, along with standing out among other teammates, it is also important for athletes to choose their colleges based on more than athletics.

“Definitely make sure that you love the school that you are looking to attend,” Fratt said. “I went by the ‘broken leg’ rule, if you break your leg the first week into practice or have a career ending injury, will you still be happy with the school you are at. And the team chemistry is everything.”

The bar is raised for all athletes entering college no matter the school, sport, or division. The competition against other teams and within the team itself is greater, setting the standards much higher.

“Coaches will not baby you,” Stewart said. “And there are other kids who are talented that can replace you.”

While the expectations are high, Goldfarb offers a piece of advice for players interested in pursuing athletics in college.

“My biggest advice is realize what you’re getting yourself into,” Goldfarb said. “If you want to play in college it’s not some cakewalk, it’s a 365 day a year commitment no matter if you’re playing Division I or Division III.  Also budget your time well, and do the school work. If you can manage your time and get decent grades it’s definitely a sign of maturity and going to give your coach more confidence to put you in the game in pressure situations.”

Goldfarb also mentioned as a college athlete, he has to be careful.

“Obviously enjoy yourself and get to know your classmates, but everything you do is magnified because you’re an athlete, so make good decisions,” Goldfarb said.

While Stewart is enjoying his first year of college athletics, he does miss some aspects of high school football.
Stewart commented on the some-what carefree environment of high school sports.

“It felt like you could just go out, play, and have fun,” Stewart said. “In college there is basically no off season.”

Goldfarb on the other hand “was ready to move on” from high school lacrosse. While it was fun and enjoyable the level of competition the state had to offer was subpar.

Playing at Bates offers him a far great level of competition as teams look to win the national championship. However, one thing Goldfarb does miss is playing basketball.

“I do miss playing basketball a lot,” Goldfarb said. “It was definitely strange going to our games and being a fan instead of being on the court. I obviously miss the legends Coach Nelke and Coach Luhning who made basketball really fun, and brought our teams up to a new level.”

While there is a lot of pressure associated with college athletics, Fratt is happy with her decision.

“Playing sports in college is awesome,” Fratt said. “It is a completely different experience from the regular college student, but you have to make sacrifices and work your butt off to survive.”