Driving for success in the future

After losing several contributors, the golf team looks to build upon the talent of younger players.

The boys’ varsity golf team looks forward to an exciting 2011 season.  While the team consists of only one senior, the young talent should prove helpful for developing throughout the season and into the future.

Sophomore Chris Cho gazes at his tee shot as it flies down the fairway. 2010 was a growing period for Cho, who is now ready to become a leader.
Sophomore Chris Cho gazes at his tee shot as it flies down the fairway. 2010 was a growing period for Cho, who is now ready to become a leader. (Globe Archives)

Since last year, the varsity team suffered four losses of senior players in Ryan Roth, Tommy Hummel, Eitan Kantor, and Corban Holtzman.  Will Rosenfeld will also be missed this year after suffering a broken arm.

The new varsity players who are mostly juniors and sophomores will have to step up if the team wants to accomplish the goals set by varsity coach Chris Moody.

“In conference matches I would like to be competitive in all matches and hopefully go .500 in the conference,” Moody said.  “In non-conference matches we hope to go at least .750 and defend our titles in the Clayton Best Ball and Affton Scramble.”

The current varsity team has nine definite golfers in senior Jack Hodapp, juniors Davis Biermann, Connor Flood, and Jeremy Beaudette, and sophomores Chris Cho, Andrew Tankersley, Adam Belsky, David Androphy, and Curran Conradi.

The young nature of the team allows Moody to look toward the positive future for his golfers.

“Obviously we are younger than we have been in the past but I feel good about the nucleus of players we have for this season and the next two or three years,” Moody said.  “Our conference schedule is challenging but this gives us the opportunity to play in pressure situations and be a better team because of these experiences.”

While often under the radar of the student body, the maturing golf team should draw more attention as they achieve more success.

A few players in particular are important to the high achievement the golf team expects for the future.

“Chris Cho is our returning Varsity player from last year who has made significant strides in his ball striking skills and should be a big part of our success this year,” Moody said.

Moody also has faith in Tankersly, Androphy, and Hodapp for providing to the team’s current and future success.
Golf is largely a sport involving concentration, strategy, and patience.

When an individual athlete applies these traits, they will be par for the course.  When the team has this mentality, they can be sure to compete against even the toughest of competition.

With so many young, talented players, the CHS golf team has much to look forward to in the future optimistically involving conference, district, or even state championships.  Hopefully the team’s success will attract more attention to the sport, gaining student support and interest.