Lavigne’s new album strays from tradition

(www.avrillavigne.com)
(www.avrillavigne.com)

Avril is back. After taking about four years off so she could create her own clothing line, develop her own fragrance and divorce lead singer of Sum 41, Deryck Whibley, Avril Lavigne has made her way back to the music scene with her new studio album, “Goodbye Lullaby.”

Now, everyone remembers jamming out to “Complicated” and “Sk8er Boi,” and, really, who could blame everyone from doing so? Lavigne showed the entire country that being a punk-rock tomboy is not only okay, but it’s cool. She had that I-really-don’t-care attitude, and it was fun for fans to be able to let go when rocking out.

In the following years, Lavigne let people know her emotional side with songs like “I’m With You” and “When You’re Gone.” She showed a more girly side with her number-one hit “Girlfriend.” So when Avril decided to take a break from recording, a car ride just wasn’t the same without Avril’s punk-rock tunes jamming musically in your ears.

Now fast-forward to present-day, 2011. As mentioned earlier, Lavigne got divorced, started her own clothing line and created her own fragrance. And finally came out with her new album “Goodbye Lullaby.”

Something different about “Goodbye Lullaby” was that it didn’t really sound like the same old Avril music. She had a tiny fall-out with her label because her producers wanted more mainstream radio music, but Lavigne wanted more of an acoustic album, and that’s what “Goodbye Lullaby” is.

With songs like “Push” and “Remember When,” it seems as though Lavigne is singing about her life and directly to her ex-husband. “Push” talks about a failing relationship: “All the memories that we’re losing /all the time that I spent with you everyday/I think it’s running down the drain/I’m feeling that we’re fading.”

“Remember When” also talks about her surprise when a relationship didn’t work out: “Remember when I cried to you a thousand times/I told you everything/You know my feelings/It never crossed my mind/That there would be a time/For us to say goodbye.” Both “Push” and “Remember When” have a beautiful, strong acoustic guitar in the background.

Although there are spurts of the old Avril in “What the Hell,” the single off of the album, and “Smile,” an upbeat song that does make one want to grin, “Goodbye Lullaby” is something different. Fans will get their Avril-Lavigne-fix and additionally get to hear something a little bit new.