Top Five: The true queens of romance

Graphic by Caitlin Kropp
Graphic by Caitlin Kropp

Noun: Chick flick. Definition: Colloquially, a movie generally associated with females, normally comprised of at least a romantic subplot. Sound familiar? Love ‘em or hate ‘em, chick flicks are an indelible part of our culture. And everyone has their favorites, their secret loves that can only be complemented with a late night ice cream binge and/or a heapful of crying. But which flicks are the best, the cream de la crop? There are only five movies that, in my opinion, take the cake. These are the queens of chick flicks.

5. “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days”
Ah, the course of true love never has run smoothly. Especially if the people involved are trying to sabotage each other at every turn. Meet Andie [Kate Hudson] and Ben [Matthew McConaughey], both of whom have a secret: they’re pretending to love each other to win something. Ben is trying to get Andie to fall in love with him for a bet, while all Andie wants is to drive Ben away for an article. Their mismatched motives result in some truly hilarious sequences (the love fern, for instance), but, in the end, they predictably fall for each other anyway. It’s sweet, silly, and it introduced me to the work of Carly Simon. Who knew “You’re So Vain” before this movie, anyway?

4. “Sleepless in Seattle”
Before I go on, let’s reflect on something: “Sleepless in Seattle” came out in 1993, the year in which the majority of our student body was either born in or even later. So why is such an old movie (relatively speaking) still so relevant? Two words: Tom Hanks. Another two words? Meg Ryan. Both their performances beautifully resonate on screen. Sure, the matchmaker plot is a little cheesy, but the idea that it is initiated by a little kid redeems it in my eyes. Hanks is truly believable as the lonely single dad, and, only five minutes into the movie, we all want to see him find love. Plus, the finale? Possibly the most epic meeting ever. Meet me in New York.

3. “Titanic”
“Titanic” is a true classic. The music, the costumes, the big hulking boat. Pretty much everyone knows the story of doomed lovers Jack [Leonardo DiCaprio] and Rose [Kate Winslet], finding love on the equally doomed Titanic. A multiple Oscar winner, “Titanic” is one of the few chick flicks that have actually received accreditation, and that will continue to place it high up on people’s lists. Mix that with a hit song (Celine Dion, anyone?) and you’ve got yourself a winner. The only drawback? Spoiler alert: Jack dies. And this is why it takes the number three spot on my list. Everyone wants the happy ending; Titanic can only end in tears.

2. “The Devil Wears Prada”
Wonderfully snarky and yet enlightening, “The Devil Wears Prada” isn’t the average chick flick, as it focuses on something other than romance (although there is some romance in the movie, with the addition of adorable boyfriend, Nate [Adrian Grenier]). Instead, this movie thrusts decidedly un-fashionable journalist Andy Sachs [Anne Hathaway] into the fashion world. Hilarity ensues. But, at the end, there is a lesson learned which, again, is different from the chick flick norm. “The Devil Wears Prada” gets number two on my countdown, mainly for the reason of its hilarious quoteableness. Lionel is a genius.

1. “The Notebook”
At last, number one. There can be no doubt that “The Notebook” is the epitome of all that is the chick flick. Focused on the forbidden romance between rich girl Allie [Rachel McAdams/Gena Rowlands] and Noah [Ryan Gosling/James Garner], the boy from the wrong side of the tracks, “The Notebook” is utterly predictable and yet still so addicting. It’s the same romance, continually played out, but it’s also sweet and poignant and wonderful. Allie and Noah will always get their happy ending. But isn’t that the true beauty of chick flicks, however contrived they may be? The characters always, always get their happy ending.