Pedal The Cause

Eighteen high school students on Team CHS all crossed the finish line of the Pedal the Cause bike race on October 7th, 2012. Some of these riders rode for family members or friends that have been affected by cancer, and others because they want to support people whose lives have been affected by cancer. All together, Team CHS raised over $4,000.

Pedal the Cause, also known as PTC, is an organization that raises money to help find a cure for cancer. 100 percent of all the proceeds stay in St. Louis and benefit all types of cancer research. The proceeds benefit The Siteman Cancer Center, St. Louis Children’s Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine

Money is raised through an annual bike race which riders may form a team or ride individually. Lauren Indovino, a junior at CHS and founder of Pedal the Cause club at Clayton, is a dedicated participant in the event. “There are friends/family teams and big corporate teams that ride for people they know who have been affected by cancer,” she said. “And throughout the year each team fundraises for cancer research.”

Jay Indovino, the Executive Director of Pedal the Cause, said, “When riders sign up, they commit to fundraising for cancer research. Many riders have a strong personal connection to cancer. Some ride in honor of a loved one who is battling cancer or who has lost their battle with cancer. Many of our riders are cancer survivors themselves.”

Fundraising occurs from the time the riders sign up for the ride to the time the fundraising closes. “Our fundraising closes on October 31st so we are still raising money but we are currently at $1.75 million and hope to reach $2million by closing. Last year we raised $1.325 million,” said Indovino.

Fundraising for cancer research is the reason why this event is so successful. “…it starts with very strong founders and sponsors: Bill and Amy Koman Foundation and Edward Jones. They have committed strong financial resources that allowed us to build a strong organization and a first class event which helps attract participants,” said Indovino.

All different levels of experience are welcomed in the event. Riding distances range from an easy 15 mile course to a challenging 75 mile course.
“Everyone should join pedal the cause club next year,” Lauren Indovino said. “It doesn’t take that much time and it is a really inspiring experience. You do not need to know how to ride a bike to do the club, there are many volunteer opportunities so that you can participate in at the event.”

In his event program letter, Jay Indovino said, “Sponsors – Founders – Riders – Team
Captains – Volunteers – Donors (20,000+ Strong) have all come together to make Pedal the Cause into a great event, and we couldn’t be more proud of the passion, determination and spirit that our St. Louis community has shown in making an impact in the fight against cancer.”